Can you use an LCD computer monitor as an HDTV?

I was thinking of buying a second 19inch 1280x1024 8ms LCD while i can get one for only $185. I was originally going to use it as a second monitor for my deskop untill i found out you cannot run a fullscreen game on one monitor and still be able to use the second one for internet browsing :angry: (so i dont get bored between rounds of CS:S). Now I would like to possibly use it to replace my tiny old 13 inch Phillips Magnavox television. The monitor supports both VGA and DVI but does not have component/svideo input.

What is the best way to feed a television signal into the monitor and possible get HD quality (it certainly supports a high enough resoultion). I know that i would obviously need a tuner, would it be best to get a stand alone box or another internal tv tuner for my pc?

The internal tuner card i currently have is a really old Huppauge WinTV card and is suffering from quality issues to due a loose conection in it somewhere. Most of the channels have lines on them and wiggling the connection on the back sometimes fixes it. Bassically, i am curious how much i would have to spend in addition to the $185 in order to effectively get an 19inch LCD HDTV.

Thanks for the help, links to specific products would be appreciated.

Edited by 12Iceman

I was thinking of buying a second 19inch 1280x1024 8ms LCD while i can get one for only $185. I was originally going to use it as a second monitor for my deskop untill i found out you cannot run a fullscreen game on one monitor and still be able to use the second one for internet browsing  :angry: (so i dont get bored between rounds of CS:S). Now I would like to possibly use it to replace my tiny old 13 inch Phillips Magnavox television. The monitor supports both VGA and DVI but does not have component/svideo input.

What is the best way to feed a television signal into the monitor and possible get HD quality (it certainly supports a high enough resoultion). I know that i would obviously need a tuner, would it be best to get a stand alone box or another internal tv tuner for my pc?

The internal tuner card i currently have is a really old Huppauge WinTV card and is suffering from quality issues to due a loose conection in it somewhere. Most of the channels have lines on them and wiggling the connection on the back sometimes fixes it. Bassically, i am curious how much i would have to spend in addition to the $185 in order to effectively get an 19inch LCD HDTV.

Thanks for the help, links to specific products would be appreciated.

586826892[/snapback]

I'm no expert on the subject but couldn't you just get an HDTV cable box that supports either DVI or HDMI (in that case then use a DVI to HDMI converter) and hook it up to your monitor?

I'm no expert on the subject but couldn't you just get an HDTV cable box that supports either DVI or HDMI (in that case then use a DVI to HDMI converter) and hook it up to your monitor?

That is what i was hoping to do. But I am also not an expert in home theater myself and I was hoping someone would know for sure. How much does an HDTV cable box typically cost? Can a 1280x1024 LCD deliver a clear picture with an HDTV signal like an HDTV can?

A 1280x1024 monitor is perfectly capable of displaying a 720p signal. I don't know how well a cable box would work with a computer monitor, since they're designed to be connected to a TV. But I'm sure someone out there has tried it, and can say for sure.

A 1280x1024 monitor is perfectly capable of displaying a 720p signal.  I don't know how well a cable box would work with a computer monitor, since they're designed to be connected to a TV.  But I'm sure someone out there has tried it, and can say for sure.

586827021[/snapback]

I'm very interested in this, can you maybe point me to a good place to pick up a "cable box" Like, do they sell something to that effect on newegg or tigerdirect. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

You could run CS:S in Windows mode (an option so it would not take the whole screen and still switch to regular windows programs) and move it over to one monitor. Whenever you want to use the mouse between matches, just hit the windows logo button on the keyboard and you could use the mouse in windows. In your case use it on the other monitor.

if your ... Monitor has DVI or HDMI and your just wanting OTA signal then get the Radio Shack HS 6000 for 89.99 - AVS forums say the tuner in this is GREAT! but its hard to find and its a closeout price so dont be fooled.

Secondly if your wanting a ALL in one reveiver then your going to need something that supports ATSC/NTSC/Clear QAM Tuner

LG is really the only company that provides a HDTV receiver that has all 3 and they are pricey and rare.

But to answer your original question YES you can

I'm very interested in this, can you maybe point me to a good place to pick up a "cable box" Like, do they sell something to that effect on newegg or tigerdirect. Thanks.

586827075[/snapback]

A "cable box" is a proprietary decoder sold (or leased) to you by your cable or satellite provider. Usually, the decoders are designed to work with only your provider and cannot be purchased from a third party.