Recommendation for a 7:1 home theatre setup

First of all, I am a newbie to home theater system. Recently, I have decided to setup a home theater in my basement. The size of the room I have allocated for the home theater is 20 feet by 16 feet. The budget I have available for the audio system is $3-4K. I am thinking to get 7:1 audio system.

I wonder what's is the best setup (best quality) I can get with the budget I have. I thought about Bose's life style 48 system. But I don't like their tiny speakers.

Any suggestions/recommendation will be greatly appreciated.

I would really appreciate if you could also forward your commenst to my email address since I don't read this forum often. My email address is gyzhang63@yahoo.com.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

George

Can I ask why you want to go 7.1? Well, anyway, this is what I would recommend:

Rear Speakers: 4 x Klipsch S-3

Front Speakers: 2 x Klipsch F-3

Center Speaker: 1 x Klipsch C- 3

Subwoofer: 1 x Klipsch SUB12

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-72TXV

That should be within your price range.

Can I ask why you want to go 7.1? Well, anyway, this is what I would recommend:

Rear Speakers: 4 x Klipsch S-3

Front Speakers: 2 x Klipsch F-3

Center Speaker: 1 x Klipsch C- 3

Subwoofer: 1 x Klipsch SUB12

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-72TXV

That should be within your price range.

586830603[/snapback]

Thanks for your response.

Well, I think that the more speakers the better. :)

I will be using the hoem theater primarily for watching movies, TV, karaoke, playing music, etc.

7:1 is a ratio. 7.1 is a speaker distribution spec. ;) Just for when you go ask for it.

586830703[/snapback]

Thanks. Actually, when I typed it, I wondered if it should be one dot or two dots. :)

eh, one dot works fine.

A small word to the wise, worry about setting up a powerful 5.1 experience then add other channels later. Most DVD's are programmed for 5.1, newer one do have the option for Dolby EX (6 and 7 channel modes).

Once you get the basics down, everything else is like more icing to make the cake that much sweeter!

If space isnt a limitation, go towers all the way around, no lie. Floorstand models will have greater frequency rangers from highs to mids down to lows. Surround speakers wont pack the same punch but dont discount there effectiveness.

If you prefer music with your system go floorstand or bookshelf for rears since the sound stage will be focused. If you are going to do movies primarily pick up the surround speakers since they are designed to have a wider soundstage for rear effects on DVD's.

If you want to go crazy, go with what Bang suggested with slight modifications:

Fronts: Klipsch F3 x2

Center: Klipsch C3 x1

Surrounds: Klipsch F3 x2 or x4 depending on your preference

Subwoofer: Klipsch Sub12 x2, yes 2

You can never have enough deep-hitting-unboomy bass. :devil:

GK

eh, one dot works fine.

A small word to the wise, worry about setting up a powerful 5.1 experience then add other channels later.  Most DVD's are programmed for 5.1, newer one do have the option for Dolby EX (6 and 7 channel modes).

Once you get the basics down, everything else is like more icing to make the cake that much sweeter!

If space isnt a limitation, go towers all the way around, no lie.  Floorstand models will have greater frequency rangers from highs to mids down to lows.  Surround speakers wont pack the same punch but dont discount there effectiveness. 

If you prefer music with your system go floorstand or bookshelf for rears since the sound stage will be focused.  If you are going to do movies primarily pick up the surround speakers since they are designed to have a wider soundstage for rear effects on DVD's.

You can never have enough deep-hitting-unboomy bass.  :devil:

GK

586831282[/snapback]

Thanks for your response. Are you awrae of any good websites that I can buy these speakers online?

you can do MUCH better with 3-4k than getting the low-end klipsch speakers. first off, speakers are very subjective, what sounds good to one person may not sound good for another. you need to demo as much speakers as possible. some highly regarded online brand speakers are, ascendacoustics.com, axiomaudio.com, onix rockets, etc. some retail store speakers worth looking at are, paradigms, infinity, defintive tech., etc. last but not least, the subwoofer, a SVS subwoofer would smoke the klipsch subs. (svsubwoofers.com); go dual if you really need more bass. and finally, the receiver, you should look at around spending $1k depending on what features you need. some brands worth mentioning are, pioneer elite, denon, harmon kardon, marantz. you should read up on some dedicated home theater forums, such as avsforum.com

You can never have enough deep-hitting-unboomy bass.  :devil:

GK

586831282[/snapback]

Lol, isn't that a bit overkill? Haha, that's 6 floor standing speakers.

As for the comments about Klipsch being low end with those speakers, you do have to consider his budget, no? The only other company I would bother checking out for front speakers would be JBL. They have some really good ones in their higher end range.

$4,000 to spend

$600 subwoofer

$1,000 amp/receiver

$200 wires

$2,200 7 speakers. = ~$314 ea. speaker

of course, you don't have to spend all your money. :) if you're a big fan of large amount of bass, upgrade to a $800 sub and downgrade to a 5.1 channel setup. FYI, money is better spent on better speakers and upgrade to more speakers in the long run.

Well, if you dont like the Klipsch low end, go Klipsch high end with the Reference series. And if you have more money to spend, go Heritage.

The difference is night and day.

As for the SVS sub smoking the Klipsh sub, eh. The Sub 12 is a very potent subwoofer for its price range. Klipsch definteley does not lack in sub power. SVS as well produces killer subwoofers. Its a real shame that SVS is now making speakers ontop of their subs, I hate to see the quality go down over time.

BangBang, you can never have overkill with Home Theater, thats why its called HOME Theater :devil:

Spoon, you are right, sound can be subjective. However xyzzy369, I would highly adivse that you NEVER ever ever buy a speaker online. As easy as it may be, it will possible cost you in the end. Shop around town to demo the speakers in person on multiple receivers running them to see how well you like the sound it produces. Online reviews cannot be trusted to much since as stated, what someone may like another may not, and reviews do not state the nuances in sound that one listener may prefer in brand x over brand y.

Klipsch does not sell its Synergy or Referrence Series through any online dealers. You can check the website for authroized dealers in your area. Best Buy is the sole reseller of the Klipsch Synergy line, while the higher lines will be in your more expsensive A/V stores. Shop around to what you may like ;)

GK

Edited by GOJI_GKing2000

many people agree that online speakers are the best bang for the buck. and many of those online dealers allow for a 30 day demo. some even refund your shipping. :) don't stick to only klipsch brand speakers though. klipsch speakers are a love or hate it kind of brand due to their horn tweeters (can sound harsh at high freq). be sure to demo as many speaker brands as possible.

many people agree that online speakers are the best bang for the buck. and many of those online dealers allow for a 30 day demo. some even refund your shipping. :) don't stick to only klipsch brand speakers though. klipsch speakers are a love or hate it kind of brand due to their horn tweeters (can sound harsh at high freq). be sure to demo as many speaker brands as possible.

586832688[/snapback]

I still think it would be best for anyone to buy a speaker in store. It's easier in the long run.

As for Klipsch, you're right. Because they do use horns, the debate will never end whether or not it's better to do so or not. I find that I like the way they sound, though the pair of JBL's my dad has do have a slightly deeper sound to them (I forget their model number right now).

many people agree that online speakers are the best bang for the buck. and many of those online dealers allow for a 30 day demo. some even refund your shipping. :)

586832688[/snapback]

Really? ah, I learn something new everyday. eh, consider me old fashion but I still prefer the salesman-customer relationship that can be established, espcially in regards to repeat purchases.

GK

I still think it would be best for anyone to buy a speaker in store. It's easier in the long run.

586832747[/snapback]

Plus right now Best Buy is doing for 4 days only no interest on all instore purchases of 299 and up until 2008! :woot:

Unbeatable.

;)

now that magnolia was bought out by best buy, its worth a trip to go down there... they have some decent speakers by martin logan that should be in your price range (maybe)...

and people can tell you what sounds good, but you have to decide for yourself...

I've never been a fan of Klipsch home theater, but do like the harmon group (jbl,infinity, polk).

For subs, definitely check out the martin logan grotto sub it has an active servo, which seems interesting. I was only in magnolia for about 5 minutes though, and thats what got me...

Plus right now Best Buy is doing for 4 days only no interest on all instore purchases of 299 and up until 2008!  :woot:

Unbeatable.

;)

586832784[/snapback]

Well, yeah, that's nice but he won't be able to get all the components there, even with th setup I layed out.