Just Bought the Motherlode!

Well, just came home from Future Shop and my dad just went nuts on home theatre. The only thing missing is a sound system, but we'll get one in a couple months. Here's what we just got.

Toshiba 62HMX85 (62" DLP HDTV, Including the stand)

052005sam.62HMX95.jpg

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...10062415&catid=

Star Choice HDTV Reciever

dsr500_receiver_large_front.jpg

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...gon=&langid=EN#

Toshiba SD4980 DVD Player w/HDMI

10062436.jpg

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...0062436&catid=#

Monster MKII Home Theatre Power Center

10034066.jpg

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...0034066&catid=#

Monster 400 HDMI Cable

10047893.jpg

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...893&catid=11348

Monster 400 HDMI to DVI High Definition Digital Video Cable

hdmi_dvi_tn.jpg

http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=2441

Well, that's that.. Everything gets delivered on thursday, I'm STOKED!! :)

Thanks guys, I was also wanting to know your reactions to the specific products that were bought and if you have any experience with them, being good or bad. That would be much appreciated :)

You lucky SOB lol. I thought finally getting a 26" Samsung LCD HDTV was amazing, but that.. Wow.. I'm thinking I also need to pick up an HDMI Upscale DVD player.. You'll have to tell us how it compares to a typical dvd player ^_^.

Good luck with all the equipment!

EDIT: I'm surprised how cheap that HDTV box is. Also took a peek at the Bell Expressvu box and it also is an amazing deal (if you sign a 2 year term it's a free rental for 2 years, and a year of all the hdtv channels free as well!).

Man the cable version of hdtv for Cogeco is a complete joke in comparison.. Box costs $799 (DVR too, but only a crappy 120gig), hdtv channels cost even more... And of course a bunch of the channels are still analog so it doesn't look good at all lol. Oh well.

congratulations on the setup.

i'm using the 62HM85, you won't be dissapointed. make sure u adjust ur colors and stuff tho.

also, for playstation games, you may find that the games are really really dark, once again, adjust brightness either on the tv or on the ps2 itself.

Hey Matrix, if you're going to purchase the High-Def channels, you are best to return your StarChoice box and go with Bell Express Vu. I purchased Starchoice, but fortunately there is a 10 day no questions asked return policy. Look into what StarChoice and Bell Express Vu have to offer for high def channels, and you'll see why. Bell, I believe, has 28 High Def channelse as of now (I only subscribe to about 22 of them), and when I last looked, StarChoice has far fewer. It's an easy choice once you do the research...go Bell Express Vu for High Def.

Just thought you might like that pointed out to you...I was fortunate to have someone do that for me, before the 10 day period ended.

Bell Express Vu has been great (we've had it a year).

Awesome!

Only one thing: why waste money on Monster cables??? You can get the same quality for half the cost (just don't get the no-name brands). I've tried DVI, component and composite Monster cables and have never seen a spec of difference between them and my other cables.

I have a question about the power bar. I have one of those and the power switch, even when you put it to off(red light on switch comes off), everything still gets power. Is that how it's suppose to be?

Awesome!

Only one thing: why waste money on Monster cables??? You can get the same quality for half the cost (just don't get the no-name brands). I've tried DVI, component and composite Monster cables and have never seen a spec of difference between them and my other cables.

586832269[/snapback]

Please don't start that again. You people think Monster wires are the most expensive? There's a lot more costly wires out there from other companies. This year's line of Monster cabling is ten times better than the crap they had out last year. It's still expensive, and not for everyone, but if you can afford it, why not?

Great setup man. It really seems you went in with the intent on doing things the right away.

Please don't start that again. You people think Monster wires are the most expensive? There's a lot more costly wires out there from other companies. This year's line of Monster cabling is ten times better than the crap they had out last year. It's still expensive, and not for everyone, but if you can afford it, why not?

Great setup man. It really seems you went in with the intent on doing things the right away.

586832346[/snapback]

because you can't tell the difference. why spend more when you dont need to? the money saved up could of possibly bought him better components in the long run. i'm not here to start a monster vs. nonbrand crap. :)

haha, thanks guys!

TheDreamX: We got Monster cabling because we want the best picture possible for what hardware was bought and Monster is reputable and good quality.

Bigred: We've had StarChoice for years now, we have 5 recievers now so it's not really worth switching over lol.. Now I'm not quite sure, but do you have to order the HD channels? Like I already get Sportsnet HD and TSN HD but now that I have HD it will just let me view it in that format now right? I'm quite new to HDTV (although I'm getting our Toshiba 51" HDTV now in my room hehe) and never bothered to get it with the 51" projection.

I live in Abbotsford, BC, Canada for everyone that wanted to know ;) haha

Thanks for the compliments!!

nice screen, monstor cable is over rated in my opinion, and for a digital signal it wont give you any better quality than a lot of other brands which are much cheaper

haha, thanks guys!

TheDreamX: We got Monster cabling because we want the best picture possible for what hardware was bought and Monster is reputable and good quality.

Bigred: We've had StarChoice for years now, we have 5 recievers now so it's not really worth switching over lol.. Now I'm not quite sure, but do you have to order the HD channels? Like I already get Sportsnet HD and TSN HD but now that I have HD it will just let me view it in that format now right? I'm quite new to HDTV (although I'm getting our Toshiba 51" HDTV now in my room hehe) and never bothered to get it with the 51" projection.

I live in Abbotsford, BC, Canada for everyone that wanted to know ;) haha

Thanks for the compliments!!

586833344[/snapback]

do you guys get rogers digital cable over there? if so, u might wanna consider the switch (do you own the starchoice boxes or rent them?).

Rogers has a ton of HD channels (even without paying for them i'm getting quite a bit of hd content too) and the scientific atlanta 8300 PVR box is really kickass IMO.

how much per month is star choice anyhow if you don't mind me asking? (i'm in tdot btw)