USB DSL Modem Sharing

Hi All,

I want to have ADSL put in from BT or Freeserve and share it with all computers on my network. However they supply a USB modem for the basic ?29.99 p/m package and they say it is tied to one machine and cannot be shared on the LAN. Is there a way round this? (all machines run Win2000 Pro).

Maybe can be done through ICS ???

If this is possible can they detect if I am using more than one PC on the connection?

Thanks.

Eagerly awaiting your reply...

If you already have a network serup, then Just install a ICS software and it will work on all the computers :)

If the software uses NAT, or a Type Of Proxy, they cant detect you are using it :)

Hi there :)

Ive got BTOpenworld, and im about to do the same as you, network 4 PCs through one server.

Basicly, I have a bog standard 650mhz server connected via USB to the ADSL modem. It has a 10/100 network card and it will connect to a 10/100 network hub.

The rest of the PCs will be connected to the hub.

The server is running Windows Me, mainly because this is the most up-to-date OS that will install on the slightly faulty motherboard, but is stable. The sharing of the net works if you set up Internet Connection Sharing on the Server PC.

The good thing is about ICS, is that BT or FS cant detect at all if your doing this, as all information is sent via one central PC (the server) so all the PCs who use the net have the same IP address used. BT mean that u cant have 5 PCs hooked into the same Phone connection useing the same login 5 times by all the different PCs. Thats why they sell the business packages. ;)

I have used DSL on my home LAN for a few years now..and Two different companies..Not BT..but they have both told me the same thing about not sharing internet. I have had a USB and NIC version of modems..I use a Linksys router and they have never said anything about it. I have even told them once when I had some issues that I had a router...they didn't care. I think as long as you are using a gateway set-up they won't care...