Computer Sound Through Home Theater

Hey everyone. I have a quick question here. I want to output the sound from my computer (Sony PCV-RZ22G) to run through my Home Theater speakers.What is the best way to do it? I have the following outputs:

1. S/P DIF optical out port

2. Audio Out jack using 1/8 mini plug from a Giga Pocket (TV tuner)

I'm not sure if the Audio Out jack will output sound for the computer or just the signal coming in from the TV tuner, so I think the best choice is to go with the S/P DIF out port. I know this is digital, so the sound will also be better, but my receiver doesn't not have an Optical in port. It only supports RCA composites. Do you know of any cables that convert the optical signal to RCA style connectors? Also since the optical out port is from the onboard sound card, would I be better off investing in a sound card? Thanks for any replies.

Edited by ROM3000

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.asp...rue&rmore=False

Something like that should be able to convert the optical to 5.1 analog. You could get a sound card to improve quality, but you'd be paying a bit more to get one with true optical out.

586838298[/snapback]

The Klipsch DD is out of production but a pretty popular one by Creative is definetley worth looking into!:

http://creative.com/products/product.asp?c...5&product=14191

I'm thinking about buying one however with an Xbox 360 acting as a Media Extendor I may not need it after all :)

Give it a try!

GK

spdif would be a digital connection and sound will be processed by the receiver. with an analog connection, sound would be processed by the pc's soundcard.

is this for watching movies, music, gaming?

You'll need both.

You can use the spdif for dvd ac3 tracks being sent right to your reciever (the decoder)

And you'll need to purchase this cable to take the 1/8th inch to an rca jack that your reciever can use.

Unfortunately, most soundcards cant upconvert all audio to dobly digital spdif so you'll need that convertor cable also.

edit/ i didnt notice that your reciever doesnt have optical in.? Either upgrade your reciever, get a dobly digital decoder/preamp, or purchase a soundcard that has seperate rca outputs for each channel (hard to find)

586838357[/snapback]

you wont need the converter. he can just send PCM stereo through spdif. i have used spdif before with my audigy 2 zs and z5500 speakers.

edit: does your receiver have a coaxial input? (also a digital connection)

You'll need both.

You can use the spdif for dvd ac3 tracks being sent right to your reciever (the decoder)

And you'll need to purchase this cable to take the 1/8th inch to an rca jack that your reciever can use.

Unfortunately, most soundcards cant upconvert all audio to dobly digital spdif so you'll need that convertor cable also.

edit/ i didnt notice that your reciever doesnt have optical in. Either upgrade your reciever, get a dobly digital decoder/preamp, or purchase a soundcard that has seperate rca outputs for each channel (hard to find)

Hey thanks for all the replies guys. Let me rephrase me question as I forgot to include something before. I have the SP DIF, 1/8 out on my tuner, and 1/8 out on my sound card (What I am currently using for stereo speakers). I think the 1/8 out on the tuner is out of the picture, so we are left with the SP DIF and 1/8 out from my sound card. As I stated before, it is just a standard onboard stereo sound card. We will be buying a TV with a PC input for audio and VGA, so I can hook it up using a 1/8 to 1/8 cable, but I would rather have the sound come from my receiver instead. Since I only have Stereo inputs on the receiver, I would need to get a Y-adapter cable as stated before correct? Well using that, would I be able to use Dolby Pro Logic II to "simulate" souround sound effects coming from games, movies, etc.?

Lastly, I didn't understand what you said about the sound card. Would I get better sound by upgrading my sound card, or will it be unecessary as the computer will not decode the source and just let the receiver do it?

Hopefully that clears thing up. Thanks for the replies.