Martial Arts

Hey everyone... sounds like a silly question, but ...

From your experience (if applicable!) which would be the best martial art to get in to? I know they're all different but what do you like about one you have done/doing etc... as I think I'd like to get into doing one :D for fun, fitness and also self defence (not that I'd need that bit :p )

thanks!

Im currently doing Ju-Jutsu, been doing it for 4 years now and Im a Blue Belt at the moment.

I go once week and i really enjoy it, Great Fun

krav maga. that what israeli army and US special forces use.

very very practical, no bull stuff. easy to get into and withing first sessions you'll realize you are learning something you can apply immediatly. no like aikido and taekwondo and such.

good fitness and useful techniques for real life situations (eg bar fights)

Well I have been studying Ju-Jitsu for about 4 1/2 years and really enjoy that. I am a 3rd Degree Brown Belt and go 3 times a week. I have heard very good things about Krav Maga as well. You should just try out a few and see which one you like best.

I do Ju-Jitsu and im a brown belt. I go twice a week, I will be going for my black belt quite soon. Ju-Jitsu is great, it builds up fitness, strength, agility and you learn how to defend yourself! Not to mention it is a good laugh as well.

I have also heard Tae Kwan Do is decent but I have never tried it.

There is no so called "best"... Most u can hope to find is a well rounded means of unarmed self-defence program that suites your needs. :rolleyes:

Wing Tsun(Chun)7yrs+ practitioner... I also enjoy experimenting/cross-training with other martial artist along w/ exchanging universal techniques, methodologies, and history from fellow practitioners.

In my free time, I enjoy knitting, reading romance novels by the fire, and sunset walks on the beach w/ that special someone. :woot: :p

jk

"Prepare for the worst in situations, but hope for the best" :whistle:

"Expect the unexpected" :ninja:

Edited by fr8t

ju jitsu would be very good for fitness and for self defense ( though for self defense you might want to see something that teathes you to use your fists to )

tea kwondo and karate is good if you want to train rigid style kicks. for self defense its more likely to get you hurt than defend you though unless you come across some idiot who after you send your spin kick telegram to still stands there. In a street fight you usually get tackled ( enter punching, ju jitsu )

Kung fu is great if you also like the spiritual side of things as kung fu usually has alot of deep and meaningful situations in its practice

well that was very random ^^^

and also if you read my first post, I am asking for opinions on ones people have actually done.. so thanks for that :p

ju jisu sounds pretty cool so far :D

GoJu Karate is good. Very practical self-defense based. No fancy jumping spinning kicks or Hollywood moves.

Just inclose old school punching and kicking. Very little tournament (if any) sparring...at least up here in Canada (might be different in the States)

As other people have said, there is no "best" style. If I were you, try out several different ones...I'm sure you will find one that suits your tastes.

Opps didn't notice that you were in the UK. Don't know if GoJu Karate is taught in the UK.

Edited by ahhell

i did tae kwon doe pretty good martial art very enjoyable i got to yellow belt but then sum kid started crying on me and i realised i dont wanna hurt people so i quit hahaha i was quite slim back then and i loaded my kick kicked him but he was still loading up and he just got hurt damn children :p

i did tae kwon doe pretty good martial art very enjoyable i got to yellow belt but then sum kid started crying on me and i realised i dont wanna hurt people so i quit hahaha i was quite slim back then and i loaded my kick kicked him but he was still loading up and he just got hurt damn children :p

Why didnt you join the seniors if you were to old and good for "children"? You would find training with the seniors a lot more bennificial, I know I did :)

very very practical, no bull stuff. easy to get into and withing first sessions you'll realize you are learning something you can apply immediatly. no like aikido and taekwondo and such.

Ever studied any of the 'and suches' or are you just the typical "MMA and military basic-training roxorz kungfu is just a dance you loser!" type?

' date='Nov 24 2005, 04:20' post='586846967']

tea kwondo and karate is good if you want to train rigid style kicks. for self defense its more likely to get you hurt than defend you though unless you come across some idiot who after you send your spin kick telegram to still stands there. In a street fight you usually get tackled ( enter punching, ju jitsu )

Kung fu is great if you also like the spiritual side of things as kung fu usually has alot of deep and meaningful situations in its practice

Who ever said that all Karate does is 'spin kick telegraphing'? Tae Kwon Do might stress more on the feet, but last time I checked Karate had plenty of hand techniques, joint locks, choke holds and so on and so-forth.

The style of Kungfu I studied (Hung Gar Kung Fu) had hand strikes, kicks, knees, elbows, joint-locks, chokes, grappling, weapons etc.

SOME forms in kungfu are 'deep and meaningful', but those are higher up. I wont bother describing them because surely someone in their infinite wisdom will see fit to ridicule it. Most of our forms were just solid practices, changing stance quickly, combining techniques, proper breathing and endurance.

gunate.

haha, you mean Gun Kata? *cough*Equilibriumrox*cough*

As has been said, there is no one best, all of them have their strengths and weaknesses. All depends on whether you are in it for the art of it asmuch as the excercise and skill, or just to be a dick and learn enough to go mess someone up on saturday night.

Well diffrent Martial Arts are better in certain areas, It all depends on what you are looking for, Im currently doing Something called Oom Young Doe (Not do) i use to do Tang Soo Do, for those who don't know what Oom yung doe is http://www.oomyungdoe.com/ read lol. Next year i think im taking on Brazilian jujitsu and mauy thai tho.

I believe all martial arts envolves some sort of mental and physical strength, But it all depends on what you'r interested in.

different martial arts are better then another in a certain area. so there really is no better one, it depends on what your looking for.

For me im looking on getting more into MMA.(mixed Martial arts)

One thing i don't like about Oom Young Do for example, no full contact sparring.

But then again Tang Soo Do only taught me like 3 kicks and i was'nt flexible or nothing. depends on teacher to.

I personally like Oom young doe, better. (more challanging)

Any Martial Arts is good for you, try taking in the closes school to you. that you can afford.

Fun, Fitness; Brazillian Jujitsu, Judo, Boxing or Kick Boxing if you don't mind geting hit in the face sparing(Pads were Invented) even styles of karate. Full Contact sparring is fun in my opinion.

Edited by Dano1b

• 1 month later...

Hi there. Please don't take this the wrong way, but you mention Oom Yung Doe so my conscience makes me respond - I know a person who was so upset after a few years training there that started blogging about it: www.thinkbeforeyoudrinksomethingpink.com

Just be careful, thats all.

Well diffrent Martial Arts are better in certain areas, It all depends on what you are looking for, Im currently doing Something called Oom Young Doe (Not do) i use to do Tang Soo Do, for those who don't know what Oom yung doe is http://www.oomyungdoe.com/ read lol. Next year i think im taking on Brazilian jujitsu and mauy thai tho.

I believe all martial arts envolves some sort of mental and physical strength, But it all depends on what you'r interested in.

different martial arts are better then another in a certain area. so there really is no better one, it depends on what your looking for.

For me im looking on getting more into MMA.(mixed Martial arts)

One thing i don't like about Oom Young Do for example, no full contact sparring.

But then again Tang Soo Do only taught me like 3 kicks and i was'nt flexible or nothing. depends on teacher to.

I personally like Oom young doe, better. (more challanging)

Any Martial Arts is good for you, try taking in the closes school to you. that you can afford.

Fun, Fitness; Brazillian Jujitsu, Judo, Boxing or Kick Boxing if you don't mind geting hit in the face sparing(Pads were Invented) even styles of karate. Full Contact sparring is fun in my opinion.