George Best just hours to live

Footballing legend George Best is unlikely to survive another 24 hours, his doctor has said.

Best, 59, could not recover from the internal bleeding that developed in the night, Professor Roger Williams said.

"I have to tell you his hours are numbered," he said at Cromwell Hospital, west London, at 1250 GMT.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4465456.stm

Holy ****, I saw the thread title and I thought it said "George Bush just hours to live" I was like :o

Shame... :p

I'm not a football fan but sad news all the same. :(

Yes he is a legend, BUT, he did not deserve his liver that he got as a transplant. He wasted it away while someone who didn't drink alcohol who needed it died. Livers are not given to anyone who drinks alcohol, but he was given his because of his fame which is not right. I don't like to see anyone die but he threw his life away even when he had his second chance so I can't say he has my sympathy.

Holy ****, I saw the thread title and I thought it said "George Bush just hours to live" I was like :o

Shame... :p

I'm not a football fan but sad news all the same. :(

586849200[/snapback]

Haha same here

Yes he is a legend, BUT, he did not deserve his liver that he got as a transplant. He wasted it away while someone who didn't drink alcohol who needed it died. Livers are not given to anyone who drinks alcohol, but he was given his because of his fame which is not right. I don't like to see anyone die but he threw his life away even when he had his second chance so I can't say he has my sympathy.

586849252[/snapback]

I agree partly, but at the same time it is an illness, I doubt he just figured he could get really ****ed on his new liver without any of the addiction talking him into it.

I agree partly, but at the same time it is an illness, I doubt he just figured he could get really ****ed on his new liver without any of the addiction talking him into it.

586849276[/snapback]

I'm not saying it's not an illness, I'm training to be a dentist so I do learn about substance abuse and that includes alcohol. But he had a chance which he never should've had. Like I said someone died while he got a liver. Where is the sympathy of him/her who died, no one knows who it is so no one cares. The choice should not have been Best's but it was. And the fact that he was given that choice shows that someone thinks his life is worth more than someone elses. Just because alcoholism is an illness doesn't mean he should be given special dispensation regarding treatment because other alcoholics don't get it.

Dont have to have someone die to have a liver, liver is the only organ in the body that can heal itself so it could of been donated from a living person. Although i have no idea where he got his new liver :rolleyes:

He never deserved to be treated anyway. We as tax payers are paying to keep him alive when he is a complete waster. Just because he played football well doesn't really make him an amazing human being in my opinion. He smacked his wife around and drunk his liver away so he should have been long gone by now.

I'm not saying it's not an illness, I'm training to be a dentist so I do learn about substance abuse and that includes alcohol. But he had a chance which he never should've had. Like I said someone died while he got a liver. Where is the sympathy of him/her who died, no one knows who it is so no one cares. The choice should not have been Best's but it was. And the fact that he was given that choice shows that someone thinks his life is worth more than someone elses. Just because alcoholism is an illness doesn't mean he should be given special dispensation regarding treatment because other alcoholics don't get it.

586849326[/snapback]

No one ever gets a liver donated to them through damage they have done to thier own from alchol? I didn't know that, and in which case yea I agree.

Personally i will not miss him. I know thats a bad thing to say but he got a liver when his previous one started to fail due to acholism. Then once he got his new liver...he threw that one away due to further acholism - which to me is disgusting. I was really outraged by him doing that. Someone else could have had that liver and lived a full life but he got it and abused it.

Dont get me wrong, he was a legend...but he ruined it in later years.

Dont have to have someone die to have a liver, liver is the only organ in the body that can heal itself so it could of been donated from a living person. Although i have no idea where he got his new liver?:rolleyes::

586849368[/snapback]

Yes the liver has a great potential for regeneration, the greatest in the body infact (the skin is actually an organ and can heal itself!), however donated livers come from deceased donors as the whole liver is needed. Oh yeah and the person I mentioned dying is not the donor but the person who missed out on the liver that Best took!

Ah okay, i just thought it was able to take part of someone elses and allow it to grow back in the new persons body. Must of misheard it from somewhere :)