Sharp DB5U Help

I just got a Sharp 37" LCD DB5U and I have a problem. When I'm watching DVDs, the quality is shoddy. It is in 480i resolution. How do I make it so that it's 1080i resolution? My other TV didn't have this problem.

Ok, thanks.

Another question.

The time to change channels is extremely long. I'm talking about 5 seconds here. The LCD I'm using for my computer is fast and no delay, yet this TV has such a frickin long delay. Is there anyway to speed up the delay?

Edit: And BTW, why is it that it looks like crap on my LCD but not on my CRT.

Your CRT is standard def or high def? Either way, fixed pixel displays, especially HD ones, never handle lower res content well.

The channel change time is probably related to your cable box. Digital channels take longer to flip through than analog.

Well, as for why DVD's look better on your CRT is already answered. The CRT is designed for the resolution they are outputting at. If you want to improve your current DVD player's output quality, if it supports progressive scan, pick up a set of component video cables and use that. It will output 480p giving you decent improvement over the cables that came with it.

Well, my DVD player doesn't support progressive scan.

I will buy a new upconverting player that has everything and hopefully, all the problems will be fixed.

I still don't know why channel surfing is slow though, with basic cable.