Florida State in ACC Title Game

Hey everyone...I've been at the beach for the past week with limited internet access (Dial-up) and very little television. I just got home and read that Florida State is going to play in the ACC championship game against VT. Why are they getting in rather than Boston College?

They have a better record overall record than Florida State along with a higher ranking (Florida State is dropping from the top 25 after this weeks beatdown at Florida)? I know Florida State did beat Boston College...so is this why they are edging them out for an ACC title shot (along with both having 5-3 conference records)? :wacko:

BC should be playing in the title game IMHO...

i guess the head to head is the tie break for equal records. florida state is horrible, and doesn't deserve to be in that game. now we run into an even more serious issue if they somehow manage to beat VT. i believe FSU has already made it to a bcs game with 4 losses in the past, and that is just unacceptable.

You answered your own question. FSU owns the tiebreaker over BC, so they go to the championship game. Overall record has nothing to do with who goes to conference championship games.

FSU went to the 2002 Sugar Bowl with four losses.

Why isn't it unacceptable for a team that wins its conference not to go to that bowl.

/\ Yea....I figured that is why, I just wanted to be sure. I don't like it though...Boston College is ranked higher and lost less games. I think that should be used in the decision process.

Well FSU only lost one more game than BC. That was to Florida. I have a problem with using the polls. They are bad enough when deciding to a national championship. I don't want them deciding conference championship matchup. This really isn't any different than any other sports. In 1993 the Giants won over 100 games, but didn't go to the playoffs because they were in the same division as the Braves who won one more game. Something similar could happen in the NFL this year. If the playoffs were to start today, New England would make the playoffs, but Kansas City wouldn't even though they have a better record.

why shouldn't florida st. get a bcs bowl game? are you serious? they are horrible, absolutely pathetic, a joke, one of the worst "major" football teams this year, if it wasn't for tennessee. they just don't deserve to go to one of the top bowls, period.

First of all they haven't even played the game yet, so don't give yourself a heart attack. If they were to beat Va Tech, then they deserve to go to whatever bowl the ACC is slotted for. That is the arrangements. It has nothing to do with who deserves the bid.

why shouldn't florida st. get a bcs bowl game?  are you serious?  they are horrible, absolutely pathetic, a joke, one of the worst "major" football teams this year, if it wasn't for tennessee.  they just don't deserve to go to one of the top bowls, period.

586861780[/snapback]

I assume you are referring to them being horrible and apthetic among the top/major schools in the nation. Well, personally I think they did rather well for losing their star quarterback 3-4 weeks before the season started and to be replaced by a Freshman that never played college ball before. Their main quaterback, a junior, had an advanced case of Lyme Disease that required him to under go months of IV antibiotics, therefore he would miss the season.

With that being said, I agree that they should not be bowl eligible though. Yeah they beat B.C., but they still have a worse record. Personally it should a show dwon between Miami Hurricanes and VT for the ACC Championship.

haha, you honestly think "God" would have done better than weatherford? that's a mighty big if. i honestly don't think he could have done it. they probably woulda done worse. fsu was lucky weatherford matured as fast as he did.

haha, you honestly think "God" would have done better than weatherford?  that's a mighty big if.  i honestly don't think he could have done it.  they probably woulda done worse.  fsu was lucky weatherford matured as fast as he did.

586862390[/snapback]

No, I'm referring to Chad Sexton. And YES, he would have done better. He already has higher statistics and a higher winnings from last year verse this year's of Weatherford.

Weatherford did mature quickly, he had to. But he still has quite a way to go yet. Its almost as though he panics in the pocket, and therefore he gets sacked or throws interceptions.

chad sexton IS god, don't you remember? ;)

i dunno, despite what he did that one year, i have a hard time believing that this alcoholic fool who liked to lay in the middle of the street screaming "i am god" would have done any better.

Ever since they clinched their spot in the title game, they have gone 0-3. What this shows is that they are more worried about VT than any game they have played.

You answered your own question. FSU owns the tiebreaker over BC, so they go to the championship game. Overall record has nothing to do with who goes to conference championship games.

FSU went to the 2002 Sugar Bowl with four losses.

Why isn't it unacceptable for a team that wins its conference not to go to that bowl.

I tell you why:

LSU is -2 over UGA

USC is -21 over UCLA

VT is -14 over FSU

UT is -28 over CU

Those are this weekends "big games". Of those only the UGA v. LSU game is a real match up. In the event of an upsetwhat do you do with Colorado if Vince Young breaks his leg in the opening drive and Texas loses. Colorado gets to grab a good bowl game over many other more deseving teams (for example if UGA loses to #3 LSU, we would have a 9-3 record and not get as good a bowl as Colorado). These automatic bowl berths for conference titles is crap. Theorretically you could have a team with a < .500 record going to a BCS game.

I tell you why:

LSU is -2 over UGA

USC is -21 over UCLA

VT is -14 over FSU

UT is -28 over CU

Those are this weekends "big games". Of those only the UGA v. LSU game is a real match up. In the event of an upsetwhat do you do with Colorado if Vince Young breaks his leg in the opening drive and Texas loses. Colorado gets to grab a good bowl game over many other more deseving teams (for example if UGA loses to #3 LSU, we would have a 9-3 record and not get as good a bowl as Colorado). These automatic bowl berths for conference titles is crap. Theorretically you could have a team with a < .500 record going to a BCS game.

In football you don't deserve anything. You have to go out on the field and win what you want. Each conference has signed contracts with the affliated bowls. This is nothing new. Winners of the Big 10 and PAC 10 have always gone to Rose Bowl in past before they joined the BCS. So teams with better records than either were left out. Well, why should Georgia deserve a better bowl than Colorado when they have the exact same shot as Colorado? They both are in their Conference Championships. Games are not played on paper. Who knows what can happen as soon as the ball is kicked off. LSU did have a horrible game against Arkansas the day after Thanksgiving. That was a team they should have blown out, but it went down to the wire. They even had shut down the Arkansas's running game by holding them to 1 yard per carry. As for a team with a losing record, if they Sun Belt Conference is any example, that won't happen. The rule for bowl eligibility is that a team had to have a winning record or 6 wins in a 12 game schedule.

I think some people have some misconceptions about the BCS. The BCS is intended to match the number 1 team vs the number 2 team. That is all. Every other bowl is about creating the most entertaining matchups. Taking into account how teams travel and potentials ratings. A lot of bowls still keep their conference tie-ins when they aren't hosting the title game. Sec champion still goes to the Sugar Bowl for example.

Well, at this point, Florida St. is proving why they are in the ACC Championship game and they also prove the point I made a few days ago stating how they just didn't care about the other games they lost but they did about this one.

well, the BCS is screwed even more. now we get to match up 10-1 penn st. vs. a 4 loss crappy florida st team. whopdee doo. thats gonna be boring.

DreAming in DigITal what happen with VT againts FSU? haha you got ahead of urself by thanking the U. haha FSU just made my day. :D

I want to say thanks to "Da U" for helping VT on the road to another BCS bowl game.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Edited by saotome6

well, the BCS is screwed even more. now we get to match up 10-1 penn st. vs. a 4 loss crappy florida st team. whopdee doo. thats gonna be boring.

You can't blame the BCS for that. The ACC gets an automatic bid and its not their fault VT lost to Florida St., which consequently won their division in the conference. Plus, what's so bad about seeing Bowden against Paterno? Should be a good match up.

DreAming in DigITal what happen with VT againts FSU? haha you got ahead of urself by thanking the U. haha FSU just made my day. :D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No I didn't...I just said they helped VT on "the road" to a BCS championship, not that they handed VT the championship. It's OK...if you graduated from "Da U" then that explains it :p j/k.

Seriously though...VT played like a turd and deserved to lose that game, same as their loss to Miami. They fell apart and lost....It sucks, but thats the way it goes in college football.

You can't blame the BCS for that. The ACC gets an automatic bid and its not their fault VT lost to Florida St., which consequently won their division in the conference. Plus, what's so bad about seeing Bowden against Paterno? Should be a good match up.

hey stop defending the BCS :p

but yeah, it's really VTs fault. but i'm still ****ed at all the stupid matchups we have to see.

oregon vs. oklahoma? georgia vs. west virginia? penn st. vs. florida st?

yea, the coaching matching is great, but the coaches don't play.

I am in no means defending the BCS, but I do believe the BCS cannot be blamed for Florida St. going to the Orange Bowl. What I do agree with is that Oregon got a screwed up bowl for a team that went 10-1 with its only loss to USC.

What's so bad about West Virginia against Georgia? Two versatile QB's that like to run will face each other.

Lets not forget the game of the year for BroChaos and I: The Mastercard Alamo Bowl.

wait, you agree with oregon getting screwed? or you don't? was that a typo?

i agree with oregon getting screwed. if you are gonna screw one team, screw the one with the weakest schedule. isn't it fitting that after beating a bunch of nobodies, that they get to play another one in oklahoma? cuz oregon didn't even beat one ranked team this year, why should they get to play one in their bowl game?