Help in setting up home theater

Okay so i have this set up of things:

42" Panasonic Plasma EDTV TH-42PD50U

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmat...-th42pd50u.html

Yamaha YHT-560 5.1 Surround Digital System

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/HTIB_560_2.htm

Comcast Digital Cable Motorola box(thinking older one due to connections)...specifically a DCT2224

a room that is 16' x 15'---ish ....has two open points (3 feet wide, hallway and entry to dinning room) near the corner the TV MUST GO IN, as installing it on the wall is a no, because we are not sure how well the wall supports stuff, let alone being Plasma, the heat.

anyway the Speaker manual says the fronts need to be 6-10 feet appart at ear level, and the surrounds need to be that and maybe 2 additional feet apart, plus 6 feet high off the ground directed downward.

Subwoofer to the right or left of the front speakers...

We pretty much know where we want them, but thats not the problem for me....its the setting up cable to cable to cable thing(ignoring the speakers...)

basically the question is.... which way?:

is it

Cable to the Sound System; to the TV; to the Sound Then TV; or to the DVD then the Sound System(with TV connected through that)?

NOTE: the Sound System and DVD do not have HDMI...so that connection does not happen in this case to the TV, (though it could if i get a converter i hear about, i could do the picture part, but still need to connect audio L/R), and the TV, DVD, Sound all have an Optical connection...cable box does not ;)

My big iff: if i connect the DVD to the A/V Receiver, then to the TV, does the Stereo have to be on?(for non-stereo use)....or can just one thing go to the TV, and avoid an array of cables to the TV? :unsure:

also there is a Data port on the back of the Cable Box....is that even higher quality picture/sound?...The Box is also only capable of Composite cable or regular video and a/v sound cables---sucks ass Comcast they doo......eh? :huh:

Help Me I am so lost obvouslly.... :cry:

Holy moses that's one of the most confusing posts I've read in a while. Heres how you should set it up:

- Cable box video and stereo audio should run directly to the TV using composite.

- Run cable digital coaxial to receiver on Yamaha system

- DVD component video and stereo audio (5 rca connections total) should run directly to the TV

- DVD player digital out (I think you mention it being optical) to the receiver

Speaker placement is a little more fickle and depends on a million and on variables. I recommend, generally, having the front and rear speakers, ear level, with the same distance between them side to side. The rear speakers should face towards your ears (sideways if you sit between them) while the front speakers should project straight forward.

I think that covers everything.

Well....i figured out my own system:

basically the first one you said....is what happened

the second one does not, as there is no cable digital connection on the freaking Cable Box because apparentlly Comcast is having problems with supply/demand, (which totally sucks that there is no good connector for sending to the receiver) but a Digital Audio connector on back of tv will run to the receiver

third, no, there is no point watching a DVD without the stereo direct connection, as most things will sound better in 5.1, as most support that, also the Reciver has an Out Component to go to the TV....

Fourth, yeah thats what happenin....with the component

Fifth....im ****ed at Nintendo....why you ask?....because they don't let anyone make the Digital Component connector for their Rev 1/2 gamecubes, in Rev 3 they dropped the connector because less than 1% were using it, but the connector is back ordered all the way to January 30ithish....which means i will probablly never find that connector, nor be able to play 16:9 for some games ever...(and with Nintendo saying the Revolution will not support HDTV type output....just means they are dead to me.....)

also after re-reading the manuals, and various online things, including your reply bangbang023, yes the manual states what you said, but also says the rear speakers should be an additional 2 feet from each other, the front ones sould be about ear level, and the rears should be above around 6 feet off the floor, and pointed(tilted downward) to the viewer/listener....

of course now the problem is running wires, either through the celling, or through the floor to a spot and going from there....