NFL: Lions fire Mariucci, some assistants.

That teams is a wreck...No passing game even thought they are full of talented recievers. No running game even though they have an incredibly athletic running back. Not much defense. Terrible QBs and offensive linemen don't help any of this.

Mariucci was cut some slack in the past because the team he inherited was crafted by Millen, but expectations were high heading into his third season.

Wow, what a burn. :sun:

Matt Millen sucks. He's probably the worst GM I've ever seen. He should have been shown the door long before Mariuchi.

That teams is a wreck...No passing game even thought they are full of talented recievers. No running game even though they have an incredibly athletic running back. Not much defense. Terrible QBs and offensive linemen don't help any of this.

586864070[/snapback]

I think it's mainly the offensive linemen. Harrington isn't a good QB, but I don't think he's horrible, and I think Jeff Garcia is above-average. Just my opinion, though.

Matt Millen does suck....

Dom Capers is next.... I went to the Houston game yesterday, not expecting to see a good game. The first half was a blast, the 2nd sucked. Capers told them to blow it in the 2nd half so they can get the 1st pick :yes:

I think it's mainly the offensive linemen. Harrington isn't a good QB, but I don't think he's horrible, and I think Jeff Garcia is above-average. Just my opinion, though.

586865295[/snapback]

I totally agree the problem with the Lions was NOT the coach. It really is the offensive line that isn't holding up, you can't have a decent running game if there are no lanes to run through and it is fairly tough to establish without some kind of passing game to balance it out and if the QB has no time to pass. Not enough credit is given to good offensive lines. But this is how it always happens, the coach gets it even though it is the GM's fault for not giving him the tools to do his job. Same thing is happening to SF 49ers right now. They have one of the worst GM's in the league and he is running the team into the ground. Just my opinion.

Well.. some team is going to have a good coach to pick up. I still think he could have turned the team around, I just don't think he had the people above him that knew what to do. I mean taking another WR #1 in the draft was a mistake.. can't wait to see who they take next year.

actually had a conversation with a lions fan in her 70s in detroit after the game the other day about this. she was probably the biggest lions fan i met while i was up there and she was irate and insisted that Mooch be fired. personally i think millen is more to blame here. he'll be gone soon enough though

actually had a conversation with a lions fan in her 70s in detroit after the game the other day about this. she was probably the biggest lions fan i met while i was up there and she was irate and insisted that Mooch be fired. personally i think millen is more to blame here. he'll be gone soon enough though

Big-time agreed there. Millen's a horrible GM.

SD -- I don't think it was the fact that they drafted a WR first (because he's a darn good WR), but that their other picks were all crap and that there wasn't much help on the O-line. D-line isn't as bad, but it needs work, too.

Big-time agreed there. Millen's a horrible GM.

SD -- I don't think it was the fact that they drafted a WR first (because he's a darn good WR), but that their other picks were all crap and that there wasn't much help on the O-line. D-line isn't as bad, but it needs work, too.

I agree about the rest of their draft but atleast address your team needs with the first pick, not 3 WR's in a row, 1 seems to be an injury prone bust and Mike won't be in shape until next year. It's been years since they've had anyone worth mentioning on their o-line, that's where 2 of those 3 picks should have atleast been looked towards (I liked the Roy Williams pick though).

Either way, it doesn't really matter.. they'll be stuck this way until they get someone who knows what they are doing above the head coaching level.

I don't fault them for that at all -- he was the best player available, so they took him. It's not uncommon to take he best available player, even if he isn't necessarily a "need" player. But, like you said, it really doesn't even matter.

Millen seems to be the root of a .267 winning percentage since he joined the Lions, worst in the entire league for pete's sake. Who hires someone with zero experience as a GM? No wonder they didn't win a single friggin road game for 3 seasons lol

Wow, what a burn. :sun:

Matt Millen sucks. He's probably the worst GM I've ever seen. He should have been shown the door long before Mariuchi.

exactly!!! he was a great lineman but he absolutely sucks as a GM. i bet a monkey could make the lions contenders before millen could.