<<iBook>> Good choice?

I'm a computer science major and I'm in the market for a new laptop so that I can do my homework (programing) there at school with everyone instead of at home on my desktop by myself :rolleyes:

Anyways, I'm thinking of the new iBook. Every review I've read thus far has put this thing top notch. But I'm looking for a more personal note. Those of you that own one or have experience with one, would you recomend it to me? If so why? If not why? Any comments?

I really appreciate anything you guys have as input on this. Throwing down 1200 bones to a broke ass college student is no easy task. I'm going to have to put the whole thing on my credit card and pay of the bill monthly. So it's a big purchase.

thanks guys.

jesse ;-)

well i don't have personal experience, but my good friend has one that he does his programming on, and he loves it. he's a CompE major. he said he likes it because you can compile everything right from a command prompt because the compilers are built in or something.

plus they just kick ass. long battery life, OSX, etc.

Fellow college student here. I just bought the 12"/Combo Drive iBook about 2 weeks ago.

First off the easy and obvious: This thing is just plain sweet. OS X is amazing, and I have it all packed into a perfectly sized 12 inch wide "ice book". I have only turned on my PC once since i got it. There is nothing you can't do with it, and you can do it anywhere you like. I go back to college in a month and I know that I will get even more use out of it.

I just switched majors and I will start Computer Science this fall, the reason I needed a laptop. I am really looking forward to taking my work around with me, especially with an iBook. I dont know that much about programing yet but I have heard that it is incredibly easy with OS X.

$1500 for a 2nd computer in the middle of college is a risky take but I can certianly say that I am 100% glad I went for it.

Originally posted by jessejlt

You guys are awesome!

Thanx for all the input. I really appreciat it.

jesse ;-)

If you are in america make sure you go to a reseller and not apple

iBook=ownage. I have had imacs g4 dual processors and i have a pc now i got a new ibook to replace all my macs as my main mac. And i love it. its quick very nice size i got fully loaded 14.1" combo drive 30gig with 384 mb ram. If u get one just make sure u upgrade to 384 or 6something whatever it is cause it helpts it alot.

Originally posted by RaGnAzN

iBook=ownage. I have had imacs g4 dual processors and i have a pc now i got a new ibook to replace all my macs as my main mac. And i love it. its quick very nice size i got fully loaded 14.1" combo drive 30gig with 384 mb ram. If u get one just make sure u upgrade to 384 or 6something whatever it is cause it helpts it alot.

You got a ibook to replace your dual processor g4?

My opinion is, get a 12.1" iBook, not the 14" one! ... the iBook Looks More "complete" and Pieced together better smaller, the larger screen Reduces the overall look of it in my opinion! ( i am talking about the Keyboard, and Power Buttons etc! ;))

NeYo

actually i like the larger screen better, the keyboard layout is basically the same but in the 12 inch one the keyboard moves down a wee bit in the middle. they have fixed that in the 14 inch version.

Originally posted by neo1980

actually i like the larger screen better, the keyboard layout is basically the same but in the 12 inch one the keyboard moves down a wee bit in the middle. they have fixed that in the 14 inch version.

i see what ya Mean, but i like how it all fits in with the casing, "snug" ... but the 14" Leaves bigger spaces between Parts of the computer, and doesn't get the same "effect" in my eyes!

Neyo

index_top04232002.jpg

i tried finding a pic of them both, 2 show the differences, but finding a Decent Shot of the 14" model is HARD!!

I own the 14" iBook, and I must say that I absolutely love it.

Why did I choose the 14" over the ultra-stylish 12" model? For me, it came down to eye strain. My eyesight isn't the best (I have astigmatism in both eyes), and while I admit that the 12" looks nicer overall, the 14" is much easier to look at throughout the day. As a lawyer, I stare at Office v.X all day long (writing briefs, motions, etc.), and the bigger the screen, the better. FYI, the resolution on both models is the same (1024x768), and some say (although I don't see it) that the 14" looks "fuzzier" than the 12" model.

The 14" iBook has other nice features as well. It has a bigger hard drive (30GB) and a longer battery life (I get around 4 hours in between charges using an Airport card, and around 5 hours when not using Airport). Of course, the 12" looks nicer (IMHO) and is a pound lighter (i.e., better portability).

The bottom line is that both iBook models have strengths and weaknesses. I would recommend going to CompUSA/Fry's/Apple Store and look at the differences yourself. In my case, it came down to form or function, and function won out.

Hope this helps. In any event, you'll love your new iBook -- whichever model you end up with. This I can promise!

Cheers,

RW

PS. I would recommend setting aside some money for extra RAM -- max it out (640MB) if possible. OS X is the best OS on the planet, but it eats RAM like there's no tomorrow!

Go to a store and look at both the 12" and 14" models. You will see what Neyo means. The 14"just doesn't look or feel right, too bulky. The 12" is perfectly sized and incased in a snug fit.

Also, they both use the same screen resolution so the 12" has a sharper screen. The pixels are just spread out on the 14".

What about programming? Are any of you programmers? I know that OS 10 comes with it's own IDE, but have any of you used it? Is it any good? What about error messeges? I'm still a no0b to programming, so I'm one of those that types 3 lines and compiles :ninja: I gotta have good error messeges. Could one of you take a couple screens of the IDE interface? Maybe one with an error messege so I can see how it compiles.

thanx

jesse ;-)