Madden Curse

927412_66258.jpg919804.jpg914751.jpgmadp_boxshot.jpgmadden2002ps2_boxshot.jpgmadden2001_boxshot.jpg

Any heterosexual male who owns a video game system and knows what a halfback is, has at one time or another played the glory that is Madden football.

Madden has that wonderful style that millions have come to know and love and that is why people buy the next one every year. John Madden's years of senility are clearly beginning, but that doesn't mean that EA Sports will ever dumb the franchise down. John's name on video games is what he will be remembered for when he dies, not him coaching the Raiders. It's a sad thing. Kind of like how Rick James will be remembered because of Dave Chappelle's catch phrases and not his musical abilities.

Not everything is bright and happy in the Madden universe, however. If you didn't know already, the franchise is cursed.

Prior to 2000, all of the Madden NFL game box covers prominently featured John Madden only. When EA started to have NFL players on the cover of the Madden NFL games, some people speculate there was a "Madden curse" after noticing a pattern when Atlanta Falcons' star player, Michael Vick was injured during the 2003 preseason after appearing on the cover of Madden 2004. Some of the people that believed in the curse stated that the player featured on the box would get injured or simply have a weak season.

The first NFL player to be on a Madden NFL cover was Eddie George of the Tennessee Titans, who graced the 2001 box. He was cursed by bobbling a pass in the playoffs, which was then picked by Ray Lewis, who returned the ball for a touchdown. He was also injured the following year. After appearing on the cover, George never rushed for over 4.0 yards per carry since.

In 2002, it was Daunte Culpepper, of the Minnesota Vikings, who had a lackluster year and feuded with his star receiver Randy Moss. In the two years that followed, the usually efficient Culpepper threw for 32 touchdowns and 36 interceptions.

Marshall Faulk, of the St. Louis Rams, who was on the 2003 box suffered an injury and had a bad season overall. He has yet to break 1,000 yards rushing since.

The aforementioned Michael Vick, of the Atlanta Falcons, suffered a broken fibula in a pre-season game against Baltimore. The result of that injury would be that the Falcons would suffer a painful 5-11 year. The most recent version, Madden 2005, featured Ray Lewis of the Baltimore Ravens.

Electronic Arts officials point out that Ray Lewis and former Tennessee Titans player Eddie George appeared on the covers of the 2005 and 2001 versions, correspondingly, and had successful seasons without injury. [1]

Well, we all know that it could exist but what are your thoughts after seeing D McNabb go down... I wonder if players are going to not want to be on the cover anymore. :p

check this link for other interesting 'cover curses'

http://sports.espn.go.com/espngamer/story?id=1594186

Naw, players will still appear on the boxes and I'll tell you why I think that. Money! A lot of players now days are all about money and they are cocky to boot (That will never happen to me). Someone will break the curse and then everyone will want to be on the cover. I'm sure lots of players will shy away from it, but there is to many that care to much about getting all the money they can, so there will be plenty for EA to chose from. IMHO

I really don't believe in a curse either. But I like seeing these kinds of things, and it's fun to talk about. It's been running for a long time now... so I can see the arguments for it. But very few NFL players go a career without being injured or having a bad year or a bad game, of some kind, at some point. So it will be easy to keep this going, in most peoples minds.

coincedences happen once, this is a frigging tread. i dont think its a curse so to speak unless someone who left EA stood outside and said, "i curse every player on the cover of madden nfl from now until they give me <insert crazy demand here>" THEN its a curse, lol. but i know if they came to me i'd pass.

i dont like to wish someone ill so i will just wish them the honor of being on the cover and i hope that honor comes to TO next year. :shifty:

Actually the player is choosen by what the game is about of course football but notice each year is based on something like for example the Vick one is QB speed and awarenense , the Ray lewis one is on Defense reading the QB etc.. and the mcdumb one is on passing ability seeing down the field.. get my point?

Actually the player is choosen by what the game is about of course football but notice each year is based on something like for example the Vick one is QB speed and awarenense , the Ray lewis one is on Defense reading the QB etc.. and the mcdumb one is on passing ability seeing down the field.. get my point?

Yes, your point is valid. What we will see next season must be an update to the running game, which means Tomlison is doomed if chosen.