5th Bowl Game added to BCS!

BCS to add fifth bowl game to lineup

Miami Beach, FL (Sports Network) - The Bowl Championship Series took a step toward helping out the smaller conferences not affiliated with the system by agreeing to add a fifth bowl game to its lineup. The decision came after a lengthy meeting between the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee and the Coalition for Athletics Reform. It was the third such meeting between the two sides.

The fifth post-season game is subject to final approval, but it will likely be part of the rotation when the new BCS contract kicks in prior to the 2007 season.

The champions from the ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10 and SEC -- the original six conferences in the BCS -- will earn a spot in one of the bowl games while the other four berths will be given to at-large teams.

Smaller have schools have been complaining since the system was created prior to the 1998 season that it's almost impossible for them to compete for a national championship and it puts them at a financial disadvantage.

Under the current contract, the BCS gives approximately $6 million to smaller conferences while paying out more than $110 million to the conferences that comprise the system.

president and member of the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee, Dave Frohnmayer, said that already existing bowls will more than likely have the first shot at entering the bracket.

The BCS is currently comprised of the Rose, Sugar, Fiesta and Orange Bowls, with each one getting the opportunity to host the top two teams in the BCS standings on a rotating basis every year. The other three bowls then host the remaining teams in the bracket.

The 2005 Orange Bowl will serve as the BCS national title game next season. defeated 21-14 in the 2004 Sugar Bowl to win the BCS National Championship this past season.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/2187898

Then we will have 20 BCS bowls and then we are back to where we started. This whole thing is a huge joke. I'd love to see USC take on Ohio State in a semifinal match or Texas against Georgia....

Dammit...give the fans what they want!!

Then we will have 20 BCS bowls and then we are back to where we started. This whole thing is a huge joke. I'd love to see USC take on Ohio State in a semifinal match or Texas against Georgia....

Dammit...give the fans what they want!!

I think they gave the fans what they wanted this year. Who doesn't want to see USC face off against Texas and Penn St. face off against Ohio St.?

the bcs got lucky. i would rather see USC vs. ohio state, and texas vs. penn st. THEN have the winners play. make someone earn the championship.

That will never happen, so lets just stop picking on the BCS for the rest of the bowl season. If anything, Oregon fans should be here complaining, no one else.

Why don't they just turn the BCS games into a playoff?

Playoffs are fun, check my siggy. My school had three great games even though our QB got hurt (I graduated with him on Saturday :p).

One more to go!