Nimda!!!!!!!

hi guys! need ur help urgently.... can anyone tell me how to remove this bloody virus from the network? it infected most of the pc (a few hundreds of them) :dead: any ideas how to clear the nework from these Nimda virus?

have you been living in a cave for the last 2 years? :p

1. update ALL ur virus scanner to the latest version.

2. Update all windows 2000/NT4 servers running IIS with the latest service pack [or relevant hotfix for nimda worm]

3. Obtain a cleaning tool. I think NAI do one. Run it on all infected pcs and follow the instructions that come with it.

4. I think i disconnected all network drives outward from the infected servers, as it can spread via drive mappings [if i remember correctly]

This method enabled me to clean 100+ pc's in one go. If you dont get all the servers tho you can be reinfected. It took me a few goes to make sure i'd got everything.

Hope this helps, sorry if this info is innaccurate, but hey, it's better than nothing :p

ZFly

Originally posted by ZombieFly

have you been living in a cave for the last 2 years? :p

1. update ALL ur virus scanner to the latest version.

2. Update all windows 2000/NT4 servers running IIS with the latest service pack [or relevant hotfix for nimda worm]

3. Obtain a cleaning tool. I think NAI do one. Run it on all infected pcs and follow the instructions that come with it.

4. I think i disconnected all network drives outward from the infected servers, as it can spread via drive mappings [if i remember correctly]

This method enabled me to clean 100+ pc's in one go. If you dont get all the servers tho you can be reinfected. It took me a few goes to make sure i'd got everything.

Hope this helps, sorry if this info is innaccurate, but hey, it's better than nothing :p

ZFly

ahr!har!har! me not live in cave, me live in a small room... :p

anyway thanx alot guys for the help.

yup, 1st thing, disconnect all puters from network. it spread thru shared dirs. and then do what said above.

now is a good time to pitch for corporate antivirus solution :)

In my experience, I've fixed several computers infected with Nimda, the free Norton scanner does the best job. Every one else I work with has used the Norton one to clean 100's of copies of Nimda of client's computers. Definately recommended.

Run it a few times, rebooting the computer each time just to make sure the systems clean no matter which scanner you use in case its embedded in the registry my 2 cents.