Can't get proper speed on DSL

My DSL ISP says my link is rated at 384/128 kbps. I had a tech come out and check everything and the phone lines are OK. My speed on my computer is 295/70 according to www.dslreports.com. I've made all the suggested tweaks from DSLreports, have no line loss or dropped packets. I'm running a 1 Ghz Dell, 512 ram, Linksys NIC, WinXP Home.

Anyone have other thoughts?

Is your modem USB or Ethernet. If it's USB well there's your problem. If your modem is Ethernet well make sure your Ethernet Adapter is made for high speed.

Hope this helps. I don't know whatelse would.

Originally posted by Ironguy

My DSL ISP says my link is rated at 384/128 kbps. I had a tech come out and check everything and the phone lines are OK. My speed on my computer is 295/70 according to www.dslreports.com. I've made all the suggested tweaks from DSLreports, have no line loss or dropped packets. I'm running a 1 Ghz Dell, 512 ram, Linksys NIC, WinXP Home.

Anyone have other thoughts?

295 out of 384... thats good... you'll never get the top speed... my ISP says 1500 down... i get no more then 1200 down witch is about right...

It also depends how far away you are from the CO (Central Office) that can also effect your speed. For me my DSL is supposed to be 768/128 or somethin like that but i get like over 100k normally downlaoding becayse im pretty close to the CO. So maybe you might want to find a provider in your area with a closer CO or perhaps move, but that might be to extreme for just DSL

I tweaked my DSL, and thought it was also running slow. I did a couple tweaks recommended by AndrewB (shell city), and my speeds have shot up.

Take a look. Both these screenshots were taken no less than 3 minutes apart. Ran the tweaks, rebooted, and my speeds were much faster.

http://www.boomspeed.com/______/speeds.png (for DSL & Cable)

These were the first tweaks that I could actually tell there was a speed difference. You can get the tweak here:

http://www.boomspeed.com/______/tcpip.cmd

(Backs up some keys, then tweaks. Reboot after that. I recommend making a system restore point before, just incase. The two reg files created are the backups.)

I am overwhelmed with the responses!

THANKS!

I'll give some of the tweaks a shot. You can find the speed test at www.dslreports.com in the sidebar. It's under DSLR Tools.

One of the problems I know I have is distance from the office. I'm at 19,500 feet which puts my s/N (signal to noise ratio) at about 60 dbm. They capped my speed at 384 due to this reading. However, the tech told me I should be able to get the full speed so we'll see if the tweaks work.

On another note, there's a project going on in San Jose from Pacific Bell (SBC Communications) called Project Pronto. They are running fiber optic cable from home offices to routing stations around the city. These stations will be like virtual home offices so they will have full speed capabilities. SBC is attempting to have everyone within 10,000 feet of a virtual station so everyone can get full 1.5 Mbps over DSL. It won't be available in my area until next summer. Give your DSL provider a call and see if they're attempting something similar.

PS I looked into cable modem, but it's not available here yet! Satellite's still too expensive!

Originally posted by hurting101

These were the first tweaks that I could actually tell there was a speed difference. You can get the tweak here:

http://www.boomspeed.com/______/tcpip.cmd

(Backs up some keys, then tweaks. Reboot after that. I recommend making a system restore point before, just incase. The two reg files created are the backups.)

it's not really a good idea to use such generic tweaks on everybody's connection. it's alot better to user dslr's tweaktest/dr.ping or speedguide's analyser/optimizer. these soft will analyse your connection and adjust it accordingly..