Heisman trophy

Not surprising. I saw Reggie play in San Diego. Amazing runningback. I wonder who's going to pick him up in the draft. I'm also excited to see where Vince Young goes.

Honestly, I don't see any big reason for any of them. Maybe I'm thinking of it as a more of MVP-esque award, but I'd give it to Brady Quinn -- if anyone's meant the most to his team it's that man.

Scorpio, you do have a good point but keep in mind without Vince Young, Texas is nobody. On the other hand, Reggie has Leinart and vice versa, so without one of them, USC would still be there.

Scorpio, you do have a good point but keep in mind without Vince Young, Texas is nobody. On the other hand, Reggie has Leinart and vice versa, so without one of them, USC would still be there.

I agree with that, but I still think Quinn means a lot more to his team than Bush, Young or Leinart. But I don't know the criteria the voters actually use, so it probably doesn't mean too much.

Reggie is USC, they could win with out leinart, but with out Reggie they would lose, in the Fresno St game it was all reggie.

Reggie is USC, they could win with out leinart, but with out Reggie they would lose, in the Fresno St game it was all reggie.

You forget about the man named LenDale White, which by the way, has more touchdowns than Bush :whistle:

Reggie Bush, hands down.

I agree though, Brady Quinn has had a pretty damn impressive year as well, and should be mentioned with Bush, Leinart, and Young. In fact, Quinn has been strong in every game this season whereas Leinart hasn't done much the past 2 or so games for SC. I was at the ND-Stanford game and I was surprised as hell when I saw Quinn threw for 400+ yards that night. Next year, Quinn wins it.

Next year, Quinn wins it.

That's a very bold statement considering the likes of Marcus Vick, Adrian Peterson, and Maurice Drew will return, among others.

That's a very bold statement considering the likes of Marcus Vick, Adrian Peterson, and Maurice Drew will return, among others.

Dont forget that VY is still saying he is coming back for his senior season. As a Longhorn fan, that great news...BUT, if we win the Rose Bowl those plans could go back up into the air.

Honestly, I think that Bush will win it this year...but that will motivate VY to come back and challenge for it with Quinn.

Bush isn't solely judged on his running stats.

I found a list of "rules" on winning the Heisman.

http://heismanpundit.com/?sectionid=1

THE 10 HEISMANDMENTS

1. The winner must be a quarterback, a running back, or a multi-threat athlete.

2. The winner must be a junior or senior. Caveat: Obviously, though no freshman or sophomore has ever won the award, it is likely that someday someone will. But, it would take an extremely weak field for this to happen. The athlete would almost certainly have to play for a traditional power competing for the national championship and, if a sophomore, have had a breakthrough first season.

3. The winner must put up good numbers in big games on TV.

4. The winner must have some prior name recognition. The only way to overcome lack of prior name recognition is by producing a season that is head and shoulders above the other challengers.

5. The winner must be one or more of the following three:

a. The top player on a national title contender.

b. A player who puts up good numbers for a traditional power that has a good record.

c. A player who puts up superlative single-season or career numbers on a good team, or numbers which are way out ahead of his Heisman competitors.

6. The winner cannot be considered an obvious product of his team's system. Call this the Andre Ware rule. Basically, this means that voters are unimpressed by huge stats put up by an individual in offensive systems conducive for huge numbers. Voters at one time were impressed (back when many of these systems were new and in vogue), but most have reached a level of sophistication that they are no longer completely fooled by big numbers alone. They will also look at the how the candidate fared against good teams and if the numbers are lacking, the player will suffer.

7. If you are a quarterback, running back or multi-purpose athlete at one of the following schools, you have a good chance to win if you have a very good statistical season, are an upperclassmen and your team wins at least 9 games: Notre Dame, USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Ohio State, Michigan, Miami and Florida State. These nine schools have won 11 of the last 14 Heismans and seven of the last eight.

8. There are statistical benchmarks for each position in order to be considered:

a. If you are a running back, you need to gain at least 2,000 yards if you are not on a traditional power or a national championship contender. This is actually a number that is slowly rising as more backs hit that mark. If you are on a traditional power or national title contender, you must gain at least 1,700 yards. In either case, you also must score at least 17 touchdowns.

b. If you are a passing quarterback on a traditional power or national title contender, you need to pass for at least 3,000 yards and must have at least a 2-1 touchdown to interception ratio, with at least 20 TD passes and an efficiency rating of at least 135.0.

c. If you are a running quarterback on a traditional power or a national title contender, you must reach the 1,000-yard mark rushing in spectacular fashion and also be a decent passer.

d. If you are a multi-threat athlete, you can only win if you produce spectacular plays on special teams, specifically kick and punt returns.

9. There will never be another two-time Heisman winner.

10. The winner must be likeable.

Of these three I think it should go to Bush.

But I find it interesting that Bush doesn't even lead the NCAA in rushing, in fact he is 4th.

Looks like he's 3rd in yards, 4th in yards/game. Look at his yards per rush :o

Besides, Heisman winners never win on just stats. If that were the case, Timmy Chang would have won a Heisman or Kliff Kingsbury.

My vote is for Bush but I was really impressed with Brady Quinn this year. He's the frontman going into next year, no question.

Bush does lead the nation in All Purpose yards however. I'd have to say it goes to Vince Young becvause he can hurt you by passing and rushing, something Bush can't do (extensively anyway, he can pass the ball sometimes).

Did you even read that site? It's their list of rules, not actual rules.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. I put rules in quotation marks to try to distinguish the fact that they were more observations than actual rules. Come to think about it does the Heisman trophy have any rules. It's not even a Division 1-A award. Steve McNair was one of the finalist while he was at Alcorn State, which is a Division 1-AA school. Wasn't Marshall a D-1AA school when Randy Moss was a finalist.

You forget about the man named LenDale White, which by the way, has more touchdowns than Bush :whistle:

Only because White was put in during all red-zone plays. If they left Bush in to finish what he started, it wouldn't even be close.

Bush's numbers are hampered by all the blow-outs this year. If he would have played anywhere near a full game every week, the Heisman race would have been over at mid-season.

I don't understand why Drew Olson isn't getting more cred. He was THE reason why UCLA had the year they did.

vick will never have a chance of winning a heisman trophy...

vick will never have a chance of winning a heisman trophy...

I guess we will see whether he has a chance or not.

Only because White was put in during all red-zone plays. If they left Bush in to finish what he started, it wouldn't even be close.

Still, it doesn't matter whether he was put in there or not. Yes, he is a very talented player, but Young means more for his team and he has the numbers to further prove his point.

I guess we will see whether he has a chance or not.

Still, it doesn't matter whether he was put in there or not. Yes, he is a very talented player, but Young means more for his team and he has the numbers to further prove his point.

Who cares if he means more to his team. The Heisman is given to the best player, not the most valuable. And don't get me started on numbers. His passing numbers are not heisman quality at all. The only reason he's there is because of his rushing yards. I could name off quite a few people who meant more to their team than Young.