DVD MP3 player to connect to stereo

I was thinking of setting up a streaming MP3 player to play the multitude of MP3s I have but decided it would likely burn too much power in the process. I'm looking for a decent (read: student budget!!) DVD/MP3 player. All my MP3s are on DVD. I have a Yamaha mini-system (it has about 100 watts output). I don't want to invest too much in it either.

I have a POS DVD/MP3 player from Magnasonic (its worth about $50 retail, was one in a contest) right now hooked up to my stereo. It works and I like the setup but the MP3 decoder in it works like crap. The sound quality is horrible.

Any suggestions? I don't need a 5 disc-carousel. Just one disc is fine. Do Apex have good MP3 decoding? And the interface has to work w/o a TV... I don't have one in that room.

magnasonic? lol

I don't think any of the DVD players on the market are going to have a much better mp3 decoder. Try a Philips or Sony if you want quality output, I guess. There are higher end units from other companies, but there's no point in getting them to use on a shelf system.

Yeah. I laughed too when I saw the box. The machine's fan is pretty loud too. I wouldn't be using it, unless it were free! :laugh:

I'll check out a few machines. I might go with a Philips, I don't particularly like Sony. As a test case though, its more practical than a streaming server (for me anyways).

Check out the Philips DVP-642. It's about $50 and seems to be loved by a lot of people.

Magnasonic haha. I keep thinking it's the ****** child of Magnavox and Panasonic.

If your receiver has optical in and your dvd player has optical out then wouldn't bypassing your dvd's crappy digital to analouge conversion make a difference?