Win XP Retail Vs Corp

Originally posted by diverboy52

that thing with the product IDs helped out, thanks guys, i appreciate it :D

hehe. no prob on finding those corp product id's. i've often wondered it myself, and u're question made me wonder even more. i'm suprised no other site had it when i googled it. i think it deserves a sticky :D j/k i believe that there were some files on the internet somewhere that allowed people to convert they're corp CD into a regular pro retail one by just replacing a few small files, so the differences are very minimal, like tesseract said.

Originally posted by JHAres

Ok... here we go.... :cool:

The info is in the CD... in the i386 folder is the file setupp.ini .

Look the parameter Pid= :

The last three digits specify the type of version you have:

270 = Corp

335 = Retail

OEM = OEM ( :p )

That's all... :cool:

P.S.: If I can find info about the Home version, I'll be posting...

then i wonder if by simply changing that file on the cd to the other (ie, changing 270 to 335) it would change into the retail one?? i don't think it would be that simple, but i might try it tommorow.

Thanks to JasonC1986 and JHAres especially and thanks to everyone else as well, ill post this info on my web server and make it available to ne one else on the web who wants this info. Thanks again guys, good job.

then i wonder if by simply changing that file on the cd to the other (ie, changing 270 to 335) it would change into the retail one??

I dont think so either, in theory you could but like Win2K Workstation and Server you could do the same thing, but there was some kind of process monitoring these type of changes and it would reverse them if you tried to turn your Workstation OS into Server.

another thing i just noticed.... in the setupp.ini file, the first 5 numbers on the CD appear in the system properties box as the first set of numbers on the product id...

So, when the one "bad" corp cd was distributed, it had the same number in the setupp.ini file, which means whoever has the "bad" cd, they all have those same numbers. maybe this is how msft is going to block windows update??

Originally posted by JasonC1986

...to convert they're corp CD into a regular pro retail...

Found this info about the Pid in the SETUPP.INI...

The first five digits determines how the CD will behave, ie is it a Retail CD that lets you clean install or upgrade or an OEM CD that only lets you perform a clean install.

The last three digits determines what CD key it will accept (Corp, Retail, OEM).

guys you could have just found the key to a workaround for Corp CDs that will be blocked by SP1 ! Good job :D

Now I wonder If Neowin will allow this on the front page...hmmm...probly not hehe

Once again, great job we could be onto something

I think we are not posting how to circumvent protection(no info to change), just how is the info saved in the CD. That info is not crippled or encrypted, is a plain INI in txt format...

then i wonder if by simply changing that file on the cd to the other (ie, changing 270 to 335) it would change into the retail one?? i don't think it would be that simple, but i might try it tommorow.

Maybe... but I'm sure the first five digits have some tied relation with the last three digits... ;)

i wonder what different numbers can be the first part of the product id... mine is 55274, which is the corp version that allows a clean install. i wonder what the other ones are...

[edit]Take the PID and put into two blocks. The first block (beginning five numbers) sets the version. The second block (last three numbers) sets the CD key.

Retail = 51882 335

Volume License = 51883 270

OEM = 82503 OEM

So an oem version with a retail license would be PID=82503335

There is still going to have to be some clarification about the first 5 digits though. I'm running the Professional Corporate version and my reads PID=55274270. More info is still needed.

[/edit]

It really is that simple, although it won't take volume license keys anymore.

Some site had a lot of info on all of this when the devilsown release first came out. I don't have a link anymore.

OK. I believe that the following files are different on each different cd, such as OEM, corp, and retail:

dpcdll.dl_

oembiso.bi_

oembios.ca_

oembiso.da_

oembios.si_

pidgen.dll

setupp.ini

setupreg.hiv

i'll post the file sizes of those files on the corp version tommorow

[edit]maybe winlogon.ex_ is different too, but i'm not too sure...[/edit]

[edit2]if anyone can translate chinese, please pm me, as i have a document which can help on this situation. I have already tried translation tools, but they fail :([/edit2]

[edit3]these files are different also:

Win95upg.inf

Nt5inf.ca_

Eula.txt only for show

[/edit3]

Originally posted by JHAres

Mmmm.... I think is not prudential go beyond this point... that's why I stop posting... ;)

i just wanna mess around with WPA, that's my reason. I think it's interesting how companies are coming up with new anti-piracy techniques and i like to explore them. :)

ok here goes :p

Corp XP = Retail XP except it has to WPA (Windows Product Activation) and with Corp u use the FCK...Key

and no you cant install WinXP SP1 on Corp XP with FCK key..ull need a different key :p

so all in all... yes ppl on Retail XP can install it and ppl on Corp XP with out FCK key can install SP1 :p

using a windows xp pro (corp) cd, download the final sp1 (when it goes gold). when you slipstream it, it'll become a 'retail' xp pro accepting retail pro keys, that's why it wont accept volume licensing keys (since its now pro not a corp edition).

if you dont slipstream, you can upgrade the current build 2600 to sp1 on top of the existing corp version (which will not accept any other vlk's/corp keys since it's now retail pro -that is, after installing on a corp, you cant use a corp key again, even if you deactivate and try to enter a new key when it asks you to activate (oobe/msoobe /a))

the setupp.ini has been around since win2000 has it not if i remember correctly? (last 3 to 270 wont ask for cdkey on installation, or will but it'll ask for a vlk? not sure about this though) - we'll have to wait to see how things go. as for product ids (pids)

(640-650) is corp

(000-015 or around there) is retail (home/pro editions)

oem = oem :p

wait for a *corp* sp1 and you can use that to update your *corp* xp's to sp1

summing up, using sp1 to install ontop of a corp, will only accept pro keys (afterwards). if you're wanting a pro copy (for some reason) you can use a corp cd to change it to pro by slipstreaming sp1 (therefore making it retail-pro, accepting only pro keys which require activation).

home/pro editions/keys will not be affected by any algorithm changes (correct me if im wrong) only corp copies which require vlk's will be blacklisted/blocked. hope this answers everything?

about the "warez" aspect, this is already known by many (pids and setupp.ini), by slipstreaming a free downloadable sp1 from ms and updating a copy of your own cd (corp ver or retail), this isn't stopping activation/wpa in anyway.

just for the record, I'm a win2000 user (who has XP upgrade-OEM but couldn't be bothered activating 1000x a month; hyperbole used there) -- 2000 came with my pc, purchased through the oem, so I'm happy without the green/blues everywhere (luna)

most info could be found here: http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/setuppini.html

Here's a quote from the page,

"Note that this does NOT get rid of WinXP's activation. Changing the Pid to a Volume License WILL NOT bypass activation. You must have a volume license (corporate) key to do so."

Changing the pid to retail will need retail keys too (same as slipstreaming a corp with sp1, into a copy of the retail xp pro)

Here are the different screens you will see when editing setupp.ini

a) OEM

b) Retail

c) VLK

all accepting different keys as you can see:

http://www.thetechguide.com/misc/winxp.html

Again, let me reiterate, this isn't a post that discusses circumvention in any way. It's just telling owners of copies of XP what the different screens mean, which differences there are (as the topic is: Retail VS Corp) and all the rest. -- most of the important info has been covered in the previous pages (pids, keys, eula, files, etc). Let's not forget the (dreaded) activation. Activation isn't in corp... since it's deactivated (or 'removed' in a sense with the VLK) - again, correct me if im wrong about this 'removal' factor :)

for users who do not wish to activate all the time (when reinstalling), a backup of wpa.dll (think thats the filename) can be found in windowssystem32 and re-copied over if you're installing the same os on the same pc (again) - without having to go through telephone calls/internet activations/dialogs for the legitimate user.

there was NO DEVILS0WN talk either in my posting :x

Feel free to delete my post if I've "crossed the line" per se. :)

(Don't think that I have though, it's fine with me, just informing the masses)

The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

If i see that message again im going to do something not nice to my screen :evil: