2 Lan Cards pro/con

if i install 2 lan cards on my home system which i am running a router with what are the pro/con of having 2 lan cards also is it true you are able to do load balancing with a registry batch

Originally posted by BIgPuNiSHEr

if i install 2 lan cards on my home system which i am running a router with what are the pro/con of having 2 lan cards also is it true you are able to do load balancing with a registry batch

I think that would only work if each card was on a totally seperate cable/line/connection. If they're merging into one again then there is no point.

well i have a lan card already installed in my system i want to add a second one but before i do i wanna know what good is it what benifits can come from it i run a network

Um - do you have other systems on your home network that you are trying to increase bandwidth 2?

Adding cards to talk to your broadband router from 1 machine is not going to get you anything.

Does not matter if you were teaming (2-100) gig Nic's - your Wan connection is your limit - doesnt matter if your 1.25 x or 100x faster - it is not going to buy you anything.

Now if your purpose is to increase bandwith between machines on your lan - then teaming of cards may get you some increase in speed. But your switch will need to be able to handle what your planning on doing also.

Really need some more details of what your tying to do - and what hardware you plan on doing it with - before can give any pros / cons.

if there was a benifit by adding a second lan card i guess there is no benifit in adding it since i won't get any bandwith increase which i already knew that how about loadbalancing can it be done

Originally posted by BIgPuNiSHEr

well i have a lan card already installed in my system i want to add a second one but before i do i wanna know what good is it what benifits can come from it i run a network

Again - need to know what your tying to do. Is your card 10 or 100 or even 1 gig capable - what speed is it running at now? Are you running half or full duplex - are you on a switch or a hub.

What exactly do you want to do? What gave you the idea to add a second nic?

they are both going to run full duplex i am on a linksys router the idea came out of my ass to tell you the truth i just wanted to see if there was something creative out of have dual lan cards

you will get a peformance hit by running two lan card to the same rounter because of the CPU time used by the two as well as you can't make out their bandwith by downloading

Load balance - and or increase of the bandwidth your 1 machine can talk at will not buy you anything - unless you are trying to talk to alot of machines at a slower speed, and or the other machine you want to talk too is running at the same speed as you.

Ie - if you have 2 machines on your home network. If one is using 10mb - if you added a second card in 1 and teamed them so your 1 machine was not capable of talking at 20. It doesnt buy you anything - since the machine your tying to talk to - can only talk at 10.

Now if you have 3 machines talking at 10 and you want to be able to talk 2 of them at the same time at full speed - then increasing the speed/bandwith of one machine will show you an improvement in your network.

But from the info you have given so far - I would say you do not need another nic. If running at 10 - think about moving to 100 or even 1 gig ;)

The more details you give of what you want to do - and what you have to work with - the more help we can give