Difference between HD Ready vs HD enabled

I don't know I'd guess either a) The TV later on can be expanded to support HD TV by installing a card which is what I think they origionally did. This way its cheaper if you dont need HD tv then you dont need to get the card with it and if you do want HD TV you can just buy the card later or b) it might mean HD ready meaning you can get HD but you need a Converter like a High Def Digital Cable box or CD Enabled and that means its got a HD Tunner built in other wise id sugest google.

HD-ready tvs are capable of displaying HD, but they dont have the needed tuner to receive HD cable signal. HD-enabled include the tuner needed to receive HD cable.

I just got myself a Panasonic 30" HD for $500, reduced from 899 :D Its HD-ready, so I can't receive HD tv from my cable company without the external box that receives it. Most supply them for free though.

HD-ready tvs are capable of displaying HD, but they dont have the needed tuner to receive HD cable signal. HD-enabled include the tuner needed to receive HD cable.
It has nothing to do with cable. An HD-enabled TV doesn't necessarily have the QAM tuner and CableCARD slot necessary to receive HD signals over digital cable. It may just have an ATSC tuner for over-the-air HD reception, which is actually the best way to receive it.
I can't receive HD tv from my cable company without the external box that receives it. Most supply them for free though.
I have never seen a cable company provide a free digital cable box, no less an HD one. True, you don't have to buy it, but you do pay every month to lease it.

It has nothing to do with cable. An HD-enabled TV doesn't necessarily have the QAM tuner and CableCARD slot necessary to receive HD signals over digital cable. It may just have an ATSC tuner for over-the-air HD reception, which is actually the best way to receive it.

Um, you just said it had nothing to do with cable, but then elaborated the same exact thing I said. Btw, I haven't seen many TV's currently with only an ATSC tuner and no QAM.

Oi vey so many people overcomplicating things lol......

HD Ready means the set is capable of displaying HD content, but does not have an HD tuner built in. Without the tuner built in, you can not simply hook up an over the air antenna to get your local channels in HD.

An HDTV has the tuner built in. You can hook up an OTA antenna and get all your local channels in HD, where available.

Unfortunately, most stores use both terms half assed and never designate them to the appropriate sets.

I have never seen a cable company provide a free digital cable box, no less an HD one. True, you don't have to buy it, but you do pay every month to lease it.

No, comcast doesn't charge you for an HD box if you are subscribing to digital cable. If you aren't, theres a 5 or 10 dollar fee per month.

I was just trying to give the guy a simple explanation, and your nitpicking. I doubt hes going to understand ATSC, QAM, and all these other terms.

Is my Sony's KF50WE620 50" Grand WEGA? Widescreen Hi-Scan TV HD Ready or HD enabled? i can't tell if its a True HDTV or just a HDTV ready.

Does not have a tuner. Plus it's an old model.

I was just trying to give the guy a simple explanation, and your nitpicking. I doubt hes going to understand ATSC, QAM, and all these other terms.
I was just trying to correct your explanation, so that he doesn't think that any HDTV with a tuner in it can receive digital cable. I used technical terms, but I also said what they were for. QAM and CableCARD for cable, and ATSC for over-the-air. It doesn't matter if you know what QAM stands for, just that it has to do with digital cable.

• 4 weeks later...

Great stuff, been looking for a post like this for ages. :D

I just bought a half price 32" HD Ready Hyundai 3210 for my Xbox 360. It kicks absolute arse with the 360 pumping in 720p DVDs or with the 360's awesome gfx on a HD connection, but the second I connect to a NTL Digibox, the picture drops down to the very occassionally abysmal. I can tell it's dependant on the quality of the program being screened (eg, modern series' shot in high quality such as Sky One shows are great, older things like an Eastenders repeat from years back is awful), but I'm wondering how I can get that perfect picture quality for the NTL.

I don't really care about the NTL picture quality tbh, I just want to make the missus happy so that i can carry on playing my 360 when she doesn't need the TV!!!! :devil:

And just to re-iterate, I lwv my TV, with the exception of the occassionally bad TV quality it's superb and I'm massively happy with it and for ?650 it's a huge step forward from my ol 28" Daewoo, but if there's anything I can do (within costing reason) to improve the picture it'd be a good step forward.

Any advice'd be appreciated, I'm not much of a TV Techie (PC and Audio normally) but any basic pointers would be massively appreciated....

• 4 weeks later...

An HDTV ready TV set is just one without a built-in HDTV tuner. Now we have different types of HDTV tuners. We have a cablecard HDTV tuner that could be built into an HDTV set. A cablecard HDTV set would require you getting a cablecard from your cable company and also note that current cablecard TVs aren't two-way which means that you cannot get VOD or PPV with them. In the future you will start seeing TV sets that say they support CableCard 2.0 and this simply means that they are two-way cable cards which will support both VOD and PPV.

Now we have another type of HDTV tuner that could be built into an HDTV set that is called a QAM tuner and this tuner is also a cable based tuner which allows you to just plug in your coax cable into the QAM input on the HDTV set and get all analog and digital/HDTV channels that aren't encrypted by the cable company. This doesn't require a cable card but you won't get most HDTV channels with this as many cable companies are encrypting even local HD channels. This isn't a problem with cablecard though.

Now we have another type of built-in tuner that could be in an HDTV set called an ATSC tuner which is simply an OTA tuner that allows you to plug in an antenna and get any local HDTV stations over the air.

Now keep in mind that even HDTV enabled sets might not have all of these options but they will always have an ATSC tuner but that doesn't mean they will have a cablecard tuner or a QAM tuner for that matter.

All HDTV sets regardless of what they have built-in can accept HDTV signals using an external set-top box from both your cable and/or satellite companies via either the HDMI or component inputs of the HDTV set. You can rent an HD box or an HD DVR and all HDTV channels including any local HD channels that are carried on your cable company will tune in on your HDTV in full HDTV quality. The same goes for both satellite companies if you use the satellite companies HDTV box.

The botton line is if you want HD channels such as ESPN HD, HDNets, HBO HD, Starz HD you must have one of these two options regardless of your HDTV type.

1. If your TV supports a cablecard you can get all the HDTV channels on your cable company as long as you subscribe to those channels of course.

2. You must get an HDTV box from your cable and/or satellite company. Also note that a cablecard will not work with either satellite company and as such if you want HDTV from the satellite companies you must use that satellite companies HDTV boxes no matter what HDTV set you have.

So I have a basic HDTV set that doesn't have any built-in HD tuners and I just today subscribed to Verizon FIOS TV service and I just rented their HD DVR box for 12.95/month and that gets me tons of HDTV channels in the best HDTV quality by far of all the cable and satellite providers as unlike those companies my HDTV channels a very little compressed and I have fiber from my central office all the way to the back of my house.

This HDTV box from Verizon gets my HDTV ready set with all of my local channels in HDTV plus ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, NFL Network HD, Wealth HD, Discovery HD Theater, National Geographic Channel HD, MTV HD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, TNT HD, Universal HD, HBO HD, Cinemax HD, Showtime HD, The Movie Channel HD and Starz HD. I might have missed a few but I get everyone of these HD channel in pull HDTV quality on my HD ready HDTV set that doesn't have a built-in HD tuner all with that little HD DVR that costs me an extra 12.95/month.

Now if your buying a new HDTV set I would highly suggest that you buy an HDTV that has an HDMI input that supports HDCP as the new HDTV DVD Players out in the market will only output in full HDTV using an HDMI with HDCP connection. If you have an HDMI input without HDCP it won't output in full HDTV. If you use component inputs it also won't output in full HDTV either. Without an HDMI input that supports HDCP it will just output in progressive scan format which is 480p (720p or better is considered HDTV so 480p is considered to be below HDTV or EDTV which is Enhanced Definition) so all cheap DVD players that say they are progressive scan players will do the same stuff as this player. So with that said if you don't have this specific input those HD DVDs and that HD DVD Player that you just paid for are overprised POS that don't give you anything more than a current DVD player playing a current DVD movie.

I hope I didn't get too complex but these things I feel all new buyers should be made aware about.

HD Ready means that it has the sandards required by Sky's new HD service to display a HD signal.

Well that's what a sign told me standing next to one in dixons anyway. :woot:

• 1 year later...
Say i plugged by xbox 360 (which is HD) into a HD tv would it become HD?

You should have created a new thread, but if you use component video, VGA, or HDMI (on the elite) then yes, you will get HD.