• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

XBox360 with HD-DVD in 2006

Brandon Live    232

don't feel sorry for me! i'm loving my 360, couldn't imagine playing games any other way. no way i'm waiting for some possible time in 2006 to play this.

Same here :) So you're the one on my friend's list :p We should play some COD2 or PGR sometime.

b mitchell    0

Why do you keep saying that? Even the source you pointed to doesn't agree with you.

No, my source does not say otherwise, and go look at a 360, there is NO digital otuput on the back of the 360. And as it stands now, the system doesn't support one. It is a slight unknown, but it would be a wasted feature to have the support and not put the output on the system. It is only logical to assume MS had no intention of including it.

Neonix1    46

No, my source does not say otherwise, and go look at a 360, there is NO digital otuput on the back of the 360. And as it stands now, the system doesn't support one. It is a slight unknown, but it would be a wasted feature to have the support and not put the output on the system. It is only logical to assume MS had no intention of including it.

If they can add a HD-DVD player to the console, they can also add a digital output on it easily. It takes a new revision of the motherboard? yeah, so? almost every revision of the Xbox 1 had changes in the motherboard to prevent modchips/etc. from working.

If they want to, it is very easy for them to add digital output. Just as easy as adding a HD-DVD drive.

matt95110    16

Isn't this like a slap in the face for everyone who has already bought one?

Jeremy1    0
there is NO digital otuput on the back of the 360.

Digital video output doesn't require a separate port. They use that one AV port to output both analog and digital audio.

You're only judging the 360's lack of digital video output based on the lack of a digital video cable. That is FAR from a good argument. Microsoft is the only one who knows the truth, so don't go around acting like you do.

gunnerhkjp    0

Digital video output doesn't require a separate port. They use that one AV port to output both analog and digital audio.

You're only judging the 360's lack of digital video output based on the lack of a digital video cable. That is FAR from a good argument. Microsoft is the only one who knows the truth, so don't go around acting like you do.

But its strange that microsoft doesn't say the 360 is HDMI compatible if it was...

Its a feature, not a demerit.

Jeremy1    0
But its strange that microsoft doesn't say the 360 is HDMI compatible if it was...

Even if the 360 has the capability, without the cable it's useless. So if for some reason they are delaying the HDMI cable, they wouldn't want to advertise HDMI capability because that might make some people angry.

l77Il7H    0

too late. blu-ray will most likely win.

Brandon Live    232

I think it is extremely reliable. It states more than anything else has thrown out there in this thread. There is no digital output on the current 360 motherboard, and without a digital output, you have no HDMI. No HDMI = No HD-DVD. Its really quite simple. Unless MS wanted to undergo the risk fo putting in a new motherboard this soon just to get digital output just to get a better dvd player in a game console....I just dont see it happening.

Did you even read the source you quoted? He said there probably is digital output but that no one knows for sure.

dipp    0

If you go to ign there is a report that says microsoft has denied the rumours. I would link but it seems IGN isn't working for me right now. In the article, Microsoft was quoted as saying that they have never announced an HD-DVD drive in America or Japan and that as of now there were no plans for a drive. Will post link as soon as IGN works again.

Brandon Live    232

Even if the 360 has the capability, without the cable it's useless. So if for some reason they are delaying the HDMI cable, they wouldn't want to advertise HDMI capability because that might make some people angry.

They probably can't do a DVI or HDMI cable until they work out legal and technical things like whether HDCP is required. If you ship HDMI with HDCP, it won't work on most HDMI sets available today.

But component video and VGA work with pretty much every single HD display and PC monitor available today.

So it's possible that an HDMI cable could be released in the future. It's also possible that the X360 can't support HDMI with the current A/V port. The thing is, no one knows. The Xbox team won't say (yet).

Jeremy1    0
If you ship HDMI with HDCP, it won't work on most HDMI sets available today.

Are there really HDMI sets out there that can't support HDCP? I know that most sets with a DVI port can't do HDCP, but I figured that if they had HDMI they'd be OK.

b mitchell    0

HDMI requires HDCP as far as I know.

Again, if MS wanted a digital output to have HDMI and HD-DVD later on, they would have put the digital output to begin with. It would hurt their current base with the addition of a digital output. As it stands now, they will release a cable for the HDMI port, but it is just a conversion of the analog signal. It is not a true digital signal being sent out.

Jeremy1    0
It is not a true digital signal being sent out.

You really need to stop spouting this BS until you can back it up.

Chad    0

pxleyes... Again, prove it. So far your only source doesn't back you up. You say it doesn't, your source said it's possible. If you cannot provide a real source, I'm asking you nicely to stop posting as if it's true.

ahhell    1,303

Why couldn't MS just release an external add-on HD-DVD that had HDMI built into it? No changes would have to be made to the 360.

Mateus-ES    0

Xbox 360 not support HDMI and not capable to 1080p native full resolution.

Jeremy1    0
Why couldn't MS just release an external add-on HD-DVD that had HDMI built into it?

Then you'd have two different AV connections from your 360. That wouldn't be good at all.

Bhav    19

fortunately ALL "HD Ready" TVs in Europe are/have HDCP. not sure what the system is in the US, but in the UK if it doesnt say "HD Ready", dont get it!

icecaveman    0

fortunately ALL "HD Ready" TVs in Europe are/have HDCP. not sure what the system is in the US, but in the UK if it doesnt say "HD Ready", dont get it!

Some "HDTVs" in Europe branded HD ready are not really true HDTVs, many cheap models like from Medion can read HD signals but they convert them to SD resolutions :angry:

Plus many of them only have component connectors and DVI

Jeremy1    0

In the US, "HD Ready" simply means that the set doesn't have an HD tuner inside it, but it can display HD.

generalnewbie    0

its all false.. READ

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=62166

Microsoft says that it currently has no plans to release an Xbox 360 equipped with a next-generation DVD player.

The unusually direct statement is a straightforward denial of a report from a Japanese news service yesterday, which claimed that the company planned to launch an HD-DVD compatible Xbox 360 in 2006.

"Microsoft, in both America and Japan, has not announced anything regarding the possibility of a next generation DVD drive being placed in the Xbox 360," a Microsoft spokesperson told IGN. "There are currently no plans to release an Xbox 360 equipped with a next generation DVD player."

Advertisement

Which is fair enough, although you do wish they'd make their minds up. Back in August, Bill Gates himself said: "We are looking at whether future versions of Xbox 360 will incorporate an additional capacity of an HD-DVD player or something else."

And just last month, Microsoft's Japanese Xbox chief Yoshihiro Maruyama said, "it's a possibility" although he did add that it wouldn't have anything to do with games. "If the Xbox 360 uses a next-generation DVD drive in the future, it will only be used for watching movies that run on next-generation DVDs," he said.

The topic of high-capacity storage is of particular interest because of concerns that standard DVDs - even dual layer versions that can store around 9GB of data - may not be enough to hold all the necessary game data developers want, particularly later in the console's life as programmers and artists come to terms with the machine's capabilities.

quick    2

HDCP would never be used for games, only for movies... Plus all HD boxes from cable companies/satellite companies come with HDCP enabled DVI or HDMI ports. MS would not even factor in that some people don't have HDCP enabled HDTV's, they would just stick them with analog video for games and assume they don't want to watch HD movies on a HD-DVD drive.

Thats IF Microsoft was to do a HD-DVD drive in the future....

Bhav    19

Some "HDTVs" in Europe branded HD ready are not really true HDTVs, many cheap models like from Medion can read HD signals but they convert them to SD resolutions :angry:

Plus many of them only have component connectors and DVI

well that's pretty crappy.

but that's why you dont buy from unknown brands...like "Medion" :wacko: