New HDTV

Well, my uncle is shopping for a new TV, and he likes his stuff big. He's a big fan of Sony stuff, but I told him to wait before purchasing something. So I come to you TV gurus and ask your reccomendation, hehe.

I know absolutley nothing about TVs more than the average Joe does. However, I've been reading up today so as to not sound like an idiot asking for help. So far, what I gather is that LCDs are great but expensive for their size, DLPs are awsome but plasmas are brighter. What the hell should I go for?! I am in desperate need of help...Plasmas look sleek, but that doesn't really matter to us. We just want the best image quality possible, regardless of how expensive it is or how bulky the TV itself is.

Then there is also the resolution factor. Since this TV should last for a pretty damn long time, I say we go for the highest end stuff, which from what I've read is 1080p (equivalent to a PC monitor's 1920x1080, like the Dell 2405fpw, right?).

Err....with uncle Ray price isn't really a big deal, so don't worry about that. Some things it will be used for include: playing Xbox 360 games, watching A LOT of DVD movies, and sattelite TV viewing...

I understand we'll also need a reciever of some sort in order to manage the connections between the TV and the rest of the gear (sound equipment and other devices). Any reccomendations? Thanks in advance!

Plasma's have burn in effect... I'm not sure if they've improved the technology over the last few years but if a still image is on the screen for a long time, then it gets permanently burned onto the screen. Definitely not cool and something to watch out for.

In general plasmas are cheaper than LCD's but LCD's are sick - my roommate has a 37" Sharp Aqueos and it's awesome. God of War + Progressive Scan + Widescreen = :woot:

Plasma's have burn in effect... I'm not sure if they've improved the technology over the last few years but if a still image is on the screen for a long time, then it gets permanently burned onto the screen. Definitely not cool and something to watch out for.

In general plasmas are cheaper than LCD's but LCD's are sick - my roommate has a 37" Sharp Aqueos and it's awesome. God of War + Progressive Scan + Widescreen = :woot:

Yeah, they have improved much. That doesn't happen unless you keep it on the same image for more than a day.

_--boocher

The Samsung DLP's will probably be what you want to look at for projections. I would recommend the Sony 60" SXRD, but you seem to want a set that supports 1080p and it doesn't accept the 1080p incoming signals (simply upconverts everything to 1080p).

Receiver? You only need a receiver if you plan on hooking up an audio system, in which case, you should still be running the video connections straight to the TV when possible.

As you said DLP has deeper blacks and plasma are brighter. Since price is no concern it's a matter of preference.

DLP

Samsung HLR7178W

71" 1080P High Definition DLP TV

Plasma

Samsung LTP468WX

46" Widescreen HDTV-Ready LCD TV

Out of these, two, I reckon you'd reccomend the DLP, right?

The Samsung DLP's will probably be what you want to look at for projections. I would recommend the Sony 60" SXRD, but you seem to want a set that supports 1080p and it doesn't accept the 1080p incoming signals (simply upconverts everything to 1080p).

Receiver? You only need a receiver if you plan on hooking up an audio system, in which case, you should still be running the video connections straight to the TV when possible.

Excellent, Samsung DLPs then? The Samsung HL-R7178W seems quite nice indeed...Now, just to make sure: in order to reach HD (or near) quality from a DVD, i have to get an upconverting DVD player right? Any reccomendations on a good one? I'm guessing HDMI would be the optimal connection between such a player and the TV as well...