Which distibution is better?

Personally I like Slackware and its KISS(Keep It Simple, Stupid!) idea of distribution. Its package system, config, boot-up script are very simple and can be edit by hand. But, this simpleness is the double edge sword. True, it's simple enough that you can edit by hand, but newbie might need to spend some extra time getting to understand the structure and how it work. But once they mastered it, they're going to love it. Don't we all love being able to control? :D

Redhat and all the other redhat-based distribution have more tools, and more eye-candy thing to make some tasks easier for newbie. Sometime those thing can be really annoying for power user, for example, if you want to change the runlevel, in slackware, you can edit the config right away, but in redhat, due to its SystemV type of config, it must be done with UI because the actual config is too complicate :right:

So there, I guess you can now decide for yourself what kind of distribution do you want to use. If I were you, I'll probably try SuSE, Redhat, Mandrake and move on to Slackware, or maybe Debian after I've got a clue what Linux is like :D

G'luck.

i like mandrake since thats the only one i tried out, i never tried out corel..and its too late now since its now sold to an american company, but whenever i tried to put mandrake on the lin4win setup, it doesnt work at all, so partition magic here i come.. lol

I would pick Redhat though....well gotta buy another hard disk to install Linux Redhat and run my own server from there, Microsoft's IIS sucks ass.

• 2 weeks later...

They were ported Apache to Windows, you might want to give that a shot ;)

I am currently using the port of apache for windows and its

stable as far as I can tell.

When compared to my Linux machine, there are no differences.