[MLB] Yankees Reach a Deal with Johnny Damon

While I don't have a link to the story (heard it on the FOX 5 news in NYC), the New York Yankees have confirmed that they have successfully come to a contract agreement with Johnny Damon. Under the deal, Damon will have a payout very similar to that of H. Matsui's new contract. He will earn $52 million over a 4 year period. For those wondering: Yes, he will be cutting his hair and shaving off his beard.

He's a great lead off hitter and allows us to put Jeter back into the 2 slot and Arod back into cleanup. My only concern lies in his poor arm and the deep outfield of Yankee Stadium.

f'ing yankees

It's not like he was the first center fielder they went after. They simply could agree on a deal to get Juan Pierre.

Bah, he's cutting his hair and beard? What a sell out.

He was loved, but you're right about him throwing like a girl. Won't be the same seeing him clean cut and in the dreaded pin stripes.

He's been clean cut before.

Heeeere's Johnny!

Sorry, I had to get that out of my system!

This is pretty cool. I'm a bit shocked that it happened, as I think I remember reading a quote from Damon sometime last season that he wasn't going to be swayed by Steinbrenner's big wallet, but not at all upset about it. He seems like a classy guy and will provide a good bat in the lineup at the leadoff spot. While he obviously doesn't have a cannon for an arm like Ichiro or Guerrero, I think he would be a great asset to the team. With this deal and the deal for Dotel, I think they have done a decent job this offseason in shaping a better team.

I wonder what all those Yankee fans who constantly made fun of Damon on the Red Sox for his neanderthal-like haircut will say when they hear of this deal. Will they embrace him with open arms? :laugh:

it's just hair. for 52 million i would shave every hair off of my body.

LMAO

The Dotel pickup is an average one, at best. He's coming off Tommy John surgery as it is and while he was a good reliever, he wasn't amazing.

It seems that on the Red Sox forum, most of the fans see that Damon is not worth the $13 million a year. So maybe, the move is not as devastating as the espn article is saying :huh:.

It seems that on the Red Sox forum, most of the fans see that Damon is not worth the $13 million a year. So maybe, the move is not as devastating as the espn article is saying :huh:.

Do they have anyone else to be as solid a lead off hitter? Mean we have Jeter, but they don't have anyone who could dominate the leadoff spot like Damon did.

Do they have anyone else to be as solid a lead off hitter? Mean we have Jeter, but they don't have anyone who could dominate the leadoff spot like Damon did.

There actually saying that his stats are decreasing and that he "throws like a girl", etc.

Well it seems like that with all the posts I've been reading trying to rationalize the move.

For those wondering: Yes, he will be cutting his hair and shaving off his beard.

Finally! Now there won't be any more of those 'I saw Johnny Damon on my toast' rants. And Damonism will finally come to an end.