Can I qualify as a goaltender?

I wonder who is the shortest goal tender in the NHL. Since all the goal tender average about 6'2.

I am training to be a goalie.

17 yrs old

196 lbs

5'10

Playing as goal tender since I was 10 years old. My doctor told me I may have a chance of being a 6'0 - 6'2 if I keep my routine up (eat healthy, sleep well and etc.).

I wonder if my height qualifies...

Thanks.

I played high level hockey here in vancouver, and I would have made it to at least Junior A, perhaps WHL, (got 5 invites for teams) but I stopped once I got to that age because I knew I couldn't make it further due to my height (yes I was a goalie). I'm only 5'8" and I made it far, but you'd be be best to be at least 6'0" these days.

Hope that helps.

I wouldn't worry too much. There are plenty of goaltenders who are 5'10" to 6'1". All you need to do is to worry about how good you are. Remember, it's the most exclusive position.

Thanks a lot guys. I gave thought about it. Regardless of height, it's the matter to stop the puck.

We men stop growing until 21... so I still have 4 more years to go, wish me luck!

I am also from Vancouver, BC. Go Auld! :D

Not to burst your bubble, but that was back then. These days the scouts want size.

If you are a good goalie you'll try out for "BC Best Ever" which is team BC. I tried out for it and there was 12 goalies for 2 spots. I had the 2nd best save %, GAA and overall ability at the 4 day camp and try out. I won every game I started in the scrims and official games, but when I went in to the final cuts they dropped me to the third spot because I wasn't tall enough. The scout said directly to my face, "Son, you are very fast and have great technical skill and have shown yourself, but you just aren't tall enough."

Man, that was hard. :(

Not to burst your bubble, but that was back then. These days the scouts want size.

If you are a good goalie you'll try out for "BC Best Ever" which is team BC. I tried out for it and there was 12 goalies for 2 spots. I had the 2nd best save %, GAA and overall ability at the 4 day camp and try out. I won every game I started in the scrims and official games, but when I went in to the final cuts they dropped me to the third spot because I wasn't tall enough. The scout said directly to my face, "Son, you are very fast and have great technical skill and have shown yourself, but you just aren't tall enough."

Man, that was hard. :(

Ouch. Well, I know I am not going to be in the NHL. But I would like to play in a hockey leauge.

You were there man, you had it. You could of been an NHL goaltender. :woot:

I'm from vancouver, about 6'1.

Did the whole best ever/global showcase us college scouting thing. Great stats during best ever and shutouts at the global thing. Did some junior camps starting at 15...

At the best ever U-16 only 1 goalie in all of western canada got drafted to the WHL even. I can't remember for the next year at the U-17 but probably not much. Yet all the forwards and D-man over 6 foot did. Basically all of them.

Saw enough politics and bull**** in hockey and gave up. I realized that it isn't worth it. So many people i knew eventually did get drafted to the NHL, no goalies though, and they arent going anywhere. Even if you make jr. team canada you have an uphill battle to make it to the NHL. Not to mention the fact that as a goalie, you gotta put in the years. Even for a junior team they like em old. NHL goalies are really old. Why? It's a very technical and mature position. Takes a lot of experience and time.

If you do decide to play Tier 2 jr A aiming for US college be concerned about the level of education and the "focus" on academics. After speaking to some scouts and players I found out that this was not for me.

If you play WHL or OHL or in Quebec's league, have something planed out for after hockey. Make sure you graduate high school with good grades and relevant courses. Make sure that you can put up with the travel routines, the stress, and everything. Be prepared to get a job afterwards. Many ex WHL'ers I know are struggling even to find a good apprentiship.

I'm happier than hell, i'm now in my 4th year engineering @ SFU and I have so many equally impressive opportunities at the moment as I ever would have had in hockey. The most important thing is that I have a career and a life ahead of me. I didn't peak at 21 (which I am now).

I was at the jrs game today vs Le Suisse and it brought back some memories and the dire need for me to play hockey. I really missed it but I'm still glad as hell i got out of the bull**** early and focused on school.

Yeah, Goalie_CA hit the nail on the head. In hockey there is SO much politics, like people who are just starting have no idea. That's another reason why I stopped. I've played high level hockey, baseball, and soccer and nothing compares to the hockey politics around here. Making it to the NHL is extremely slim even if you are amazing. The best goalie that I played with was Derek Janzen and he just got to WHL last year. There's no way in hell he's going to NHL. It's really an uphill battle.