Low CPU-usage Music player?

Hi everyone,

I have a 533Mhz cpu and 380MB ram in my Ubuntu machine. I am building a large music collection, and I want to have it organized similar to like the way amaroK has, but something that uses less Cpu power. I've tried xmms, but it isn't good for large amounts of music. Got any alternatives?

(Oh and Audioscrobbler compatibility would be a plus)

MPEG123: http://www.mpg123.de/

Its command line though, thus the reason it has low cpu usage. I don't really see CPU usage as being a problem though with any player, as mp3 decoding is quite efficient and utilized a small amount of CPU usage. Are you sure you arent running a visualization and possibly using a generic xf86 driver?

Try XMMS. In Ubuntu, go to terminal and enter:

sudo apt-get install xmms

Away you go!

I've tried xmms, but it isn't good for large amounts of music.

I would probably try one of the command line players. I use Rhythmbox, but I have no idea how it would run on a slower computer.

i hear footbar is a good one, i dont use it, i like WMP. http://www.foobar2000.org/

Open component architecture allowing third-party developers to extend functionality of the player

Audio formats supported "out-of-the-box": WAV, AIFF, VOC, AU, SND, Ogg Vorbis, MPC, MP2, MP3, MPEG-4 AAC

Audio formats supported through official addons: FLAC, OggFLAC, Monkey's Audio, WavPack, Speex, CDDA, TFMX, SPC, various MOD types; extraction on-the-fly from RAR, 7-ZIP & ZIP archives

Full Unicode support on Windows NT

ReplayGain support

Low memory footprint, efficient handling of really large playlists

Advanced file info processing capabilities (generic file info box and masstagger)

Highly customizable playlist display

Customizable keyboard shortcuts

Most of standard components are opensourced under BSD license (source included with the SDK)

i hear footbar is a good one, i dont use it, i like WMP. http://www.foobar2000.org/

Open component architecture allowing third-party developers to extend functionality of the player

Audio formats supported "out-of-the-box": WAV, AIFF, VOC, AU, SND, Ogg Vorbis, MPC, MP2, MP3, MPEG-4 AAC

Audio formats supported through official addons: FLAC, OggFLAC, Monkey's Audio, WavPack, Speex, CDDA, TFMX, SPC, various MOD types; extraction on-the-fly from RAR, 7-ZIP & ZIP archives

Full Unicode support on Windows NT

ReplayGain support

Low memory footprint, efficient handling of really large playlists

Advanced file info processing capabilities (generic file info box and masstagger)

Highly customizable playlist display

Customizable keyboard shortcuts

Most of standard components are opensourced under BSD license (source included with the SDK)

oops, didnt notice he was asking for linux, sry :blush:

Wow. People really don't read anything anymore. Just to clarify: This is the Linux forum and a Linux question...

You can make your playlists in advance and then use the commandline interface of mplayer.

Second that mplayer recommendation! :wub:

Using wine would probably increase the cpu usage dramatically, as it has to emulate the windows sound system/gui along with translating.

Wine Is Not an Emulator! It is an API package that suppliments what most windows applications expect as far as standard interface libraries. There is no emulation taking place, because a binary compiled for an x86 machine should have its intructions executed fine on an x86 machine regardless of operating system. It comes down to what supporting files and system are available to the executable as to whether the program works correctly.

Still, probably a lot better native linux music players out there. Wine is kind of a pain to setup, and I'd avoid it if you can.

I sugest MPD (Music Playing Deamon) with a front end. MPD is very let, nice and pretty easy to use. You can use the mpc frontend which is a console base app, pygmy which is a pygtk frontend or numerous of other frontends!