BF2 "There is a problem with your connection"

Since I got Battlefield 2 patched to the latest version, I get this "There is a problem with your connection message" once in a while, never on the same server. It happens outta nowhere. Basically the game looks like it froze for like 5 secondes, then unfreezes but that message appears and I get disconnected from the server when there clearly isn't any problem with my connection

Some ppl say that disabling EAX fixes it but I have EAX disabled. Some also say to disable VOIP if you're having problems hearing others talk but I have no problem hearing my friends or talking for that matter.

Really, in the end I have no <insert foul comment here> clue what the problem is and doing the google search shows that I'm not alone having this problem strictly in BF2 but there seems to be no general solution.

I can shoot any other game at my pc like cs and quake 3, 4, unreal, bf1942 and I'll never get disconnected unless my isp decides to suck.

So, anybody else have or used to have this problem in Battlefield2 could help out a fellow brother :pinch:

Yeah, same problem and I know it's NOT a connection issue with mine, so I just guessed it's a stupid error message when either my CPU is at 100% or something else is keeping the game from being able to communicate at random moments.

bf2 has some serious problems that EA needs to fix... It doesnt even display the servers to me anymore and I get the same message as you when there clearly isn't any problem with my connection. It annoys the shizzle out of me cuz I spent 50 bucks on this game! :pinch:

I get the same, it's really p**sing me off too. I get into a firefight and i'm dead cause I get that horrible "problem with your connection." I heard that updating your punkbuster manually fixes the problem. Well I went ahead and tried that but to no avial. It might work for some people. I'm just somewhat happy that EA/DICE don't blame people hardware for the faults of their game like valve does.

For punkbuster updates, head over to....http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=support-bf2.php

Does it happen with every server you are on all of the time??

Nope.

It only happens sometimes, randomly and when it does, I get disconnected in the first minute or so of the server.

It happened even on the lowest pinged servers I've found. Worst part? Sometimes I decide to try the same server again and it won't disconnect me despite the fact that my connection has always been stable.

It's really odd. If it has something to do with having a router/firewall, knowing what ports to open would be nice but I can't seem to find anything like that when searching the INTARWEB.

Nope.

It only happens sometimes, randomly and when it does, I get disconnected in the first minute or so of the server.

It happened even on the lowest pinged servers I've found. Worst part? Sometimes I decide to try the same server again and it won't disconnect me despite the fact that my connection has always been stable.

It's really odd. If it has something to do with having a router/firewall, knowing what ports to open would be nice but I can't seem to find anything like that when searching the INTARWEB.

Hearing this then, I really believe it is a server end issue and not yours, even if you can connect back to the very same server. Whenever I see this issue, it has to do with the server itself and not my end.

Next time it happens, if you remember the name of the server or the IP, automatically connect to the server you were on. I am willing to bet you are on there with only a few people and you will start to see everyone who was playing slowly start to rejoin again. Because I have seen this almost every time it has happened to me (which is really not that often to begin with luckily) it definitely lets me know it is the servers fault and not the game itself.

Basically, the chances of the game screwing up for everyone at the same exact time on the users end are slim to none. I would say 7 times out of 10, in regards to this specific error message, it is more than likely a result of a poorly configured server.

Another example I have is, everytime at the end of the round on this one server I was playing on the message would flash really quickly that there was an error with my connection, yet I would never get booted. I played about 3 rounds or so and decided to find another server right away. With the new server I never saw the message again. It also turns out the 150 points and the Silver & Gold I got from the server I was getting the error message on never wound up adding to my global score. A friend of mine was playing with me on that server as well, and he never got the points either. Again, this was a poorly configured server, and not the game itself.

It is not the game. It is the servers. Unforaunutely there are alot of people out there who either never configured their server files correctly and or who do not maintain them well, and what you are seeing is mainly a result of that. I say mainly because without a doubt sometimes it is on your end, but then that really has to do with a poor connection and or a unstable system.

Good Luck. Just find good servers and try to stick to them, although I do know that is a hard thing to do, because once you find a good one, it seems like everyone else does as well.

Well I found out that turning off the VOIP makes the game run much smoother. I haven't once gotten the "problem with your connection" message. You can do this by going into the audio tab withen BF2 and simply clicking the box to make the X dissappear. Give that a try and report back.

Happens to me on every server. No joke. Any server I connect to I get disconnected and can't play.

I truly am sorry to hear this man, as I know the feeling. UT2K4 once I upgraded to a 64 3200 awhile back was never, ever the same for me. It would crash at times. When I was lucky and it did not crash, it was completely unplayable. When I finally connected to a server there was no way I could play because the lag was so bad, but there was without any doubts nothing wrong with my connection. I played other online games flawlessly. It really does suck, so I do feel your pain.

I know from personal experience that EA's support is beyond horrible to so I really wont say try to contact them if you have not already.

You have every right to be ****ed. No doubt.

Hopefully maybe what Ice Brewed Beer suggests helps out in some way.

Happens to me on every server. No joke. Any server I connect to I get disconnected and can't play.

Same thing happens to me. The server list loads fine, I select a server, everything starts to load fine and the second I get into the game is get the error message. I think it's something to do with router settings but it doesn't seem to affect other games. I'm really annoyed as it used to work fine and then stopped... I've only got to my first weapon unlock and only just to that.

• 1 year later...
Same thing happens to me. The server list loads fine, I select a server, everything starts to load fine and the second I get into the game is get the error message. I think it's something to do with router settings but it doesn't seem to affect other games. I'm really annoyed as it used to work fine and then stopped... I've only got to my first weapon unlock and only just to that.

Yeah buddy i'm feelin ya. as soon as I got my 2nd unlock I shut the game off and havent been able to play since. that was 3 days ago now...

that sucks but not as bad as wut happened to me i spent $50 on this too wouldnt install on 2comps, ea and ebgames wouldnt help even with my ebgames extended warrenty. finaly got it working on new comp after 3 years :(

The only times i get this are

1 - at the end of a map just before it pulls the scoreboard up

2 - randomly during play, usually if there is alot going on in the area that I am playing.

It usually only lasts for a few seconds, sometimes a bit longer at the end of the map.

doesn't really bother me to be honest.