Confused about TVs

Hey guys, thinking about getting a new TV and had a comple of questions. Went over to my friends house and he got a nice new 50" WS HD TV, i thought it looked amazing, until i turned it on and started watching cable on it. It looked really washed out, almost stretched! Playing games and DVD is alright, but i was concerned about the cable, since thats what i watch the most and im not getting digital cable or satelite any time soon. It was washed out because its rear projection right? I mean i think thats the term.

Anyways, im thinking of getting a TV now and I gotta say, regardless of what people say SIZE DOES MATTER. But i dont want to break the bank. I know i can get a plasma for like $4000, but i dont want to spend that much if i dont have to. So what is the biggest TV you guys think i can get with the right technology so that things arent washed out looking? which is at juust the right price ranger for the most bang for my buck? I am open to non brand names too. :)

Some TV's have the option to preserve the fullscreen 4:3 ratio or stretch fullscreen images to use the whole widescreen area. Of course taking a full screen image stretched to fill a widescreen tv will suck.

Check out whatever you want to buy in person and ask to play around with the settings to see if it has the option of maintaining the opiginal aspect ratio, stretching sucks.

And the projection TV's give you the most size for your buck in my opinion.

dont u guys think that price on that sony is too much for rear projection?

It's LCD Projection. It's not rear projection in the term that most people are familiar with.

do LCD Projection require bulb replacements?

Yes, much more frequently than old style rear projos. Average lamp life on a LCD projection is between 6,000 to 8,000 hours.