Linux on Mac

I'm very tempted to have a dual boot with Mandrake 9 and Jaguar. The thing is I'm not sure about linux on Mac. I've installed and ran Mandrake 8 on my PC with no problems but now it's on PPC.

So, a few questions:

Do you need to have specific PPC packages to run on Linux on a Mac?

Has anyone here ran Linux on a Mac? Opinions...

Would something like WineX work because it's not just emulating windows anymore, but also the x86 architechture.

Mandrake has specific .ISO images for PPC on public FTP sites. Software packages can probably be found for PPC on rpmfind.net I suppose. If not, you can just download the source for the apps you want, and compile it yourself.

Don't know about how everything runs obviously.. :)

Hope I've been of some help at least.

Oh and on a sidenote.. I've put out an ad for buying a PowerMac now, and if someone answers it, I guess I'll have it by monday. /me crosses fingers

:D

I had a funny feeling I would have to download the source and compile it. I think the Linux forum will be seeing me for as long as my patience and intrigue lasts.

I'd still really love to know if WineX works though, maybe it might be better at running windows then virtual PC is.

Originally posted by Dazzla

I had a funny feeling I would have to download the source and compile it. I think the Linux forum will be seeing me for as long as my patience and intrigue lasts.

I'd still really love to know if WineX works though, maybe it might be better at running windows then virtual PC is.

you'd be better off using mandrake under xwindows although redhat seems to run better under it

Just echoing the previous posters. Yes you need PPC version of what ever distro you choose. Mandrake and Red Hat are ok, as well as YellowDog Linux. Remember that distro's ship with quite a number of 3rd party apps, so you might not find yourself compiling all that much. The absolute newest version of WineX does a pretty good job of running winblows stuff. In fact, one of the gaming sites has a specialized version of WineX that runs Warcraft 3, Grand Theft Auto 3 and other newer games.

IF you just want to mess with Linux and you?re seriously thinking about using it as a productive OS, download a trial version of Virtual PC and install it as a Virtual machine

Originally posted by realmccoy

IF you just want to mess with Linux and you?re seriously thinking about using it as a productive OS, download a trial version of Virtual PC and install it as a Virtual machine b>

I am pretty sure performance is important to Dazzla. Running WineX inside an virtual machine would really suck. It's not that big a deal to install Linux. If he doesn't like it, he can zap it and reclaim the hardrive space.

Originally posted by linux2

I am pretty sure performance is important to Dazzla. Running WineX inside an virtual machine would really suck. It's not that big a deal to install Linux. If he doesn't like it, he can zap it and reclaim the hardrive space.

Yeah, I don't want to install it on a Virtual Machine. I've got Virtual PC and run windows 2000 in it. I want to install Linux as proper OS, I've played around with it long enough on my laptop.

linux2, do you know if wineX will run on the PPC version of mandrake?

I was perfectly aware that I had to run a PPC specific Linux OS. I started getting interested again when Mandrake 9 was appearing. As soon as it's final I'll download it if WineX runs windows apps on the PPC Mandrake.

Originally posted by Dazzla

Yeah, I don't want to install it on a Virtual Machine. I've got Virtual PC and run windows 2000 in it. I want to install Linux as proper OS, I've played around with it long enough on my laptop.

linux2, do you know if wineX will run on the PPC version of mandrake?

I was perfectly aware that I had to run a PPC specific Linux OS. I started getting interested again when Mandrake 9 was appearing. As soon as it's final I'll download it if WineX runs windows apps on the PPC Mandrake.

I'm don't know this, just speculating.. But it seems unlikely to me that WineX would work on PPC as I don't think it emulates the x86 architecture, it just provides a Win32 like shell for Win32 programs to run in using X11 :ermm:

Originally posted by cerbero

I'm don't know this, just speculating.. But it seems unlikely to me that WineX would work on PPC as I don't think it emulates the x86 architecture, it just provides a Win32 like shell for Win32 programs to run in using X11 :ermm:

Thanks, that's what I expected.

Yup. There has been an intial port of winelib to PPC. but it hasn't been worked on in some time :( There is however a port of Bochs for the PPC platform. Not familiar with this emulator though.