Best Upscaling HD DVD Player?

The OPPO does not upscale over component.

Due to the Requirements for whoever governs the dvd manufactures

NO DVD player can be sold that DOES upscale over component.

But people always seem to find the hidden menus or disable it ;)

But the quality on upscaling over component is horrible, since the scaling chips do there best work on the digital domain and the dvd players weren't designed for the best picture to be over component.

• 1 month later...

The OPPO does not upscale over component.

Due to the Requirements for whoever governs the dvd manufactures

NO DVD player can be sold that DOES upscale over component.

But people always seem to find the hidden menus or disable it ;)

But the quality on upscaling over component is horrible, since the scaling chips do there best work on the digital domain and the dvd players weren't designed for the best picture to be over component.

Hi everyone from Mexico City, i just found this forum and its a lot of help reading about this topics.

I just want to tell that you're wrong. DVD players CAN upscale over component. I came in trying to find dvd models that do that cuz the only ones ive found are a little bit expensive, check them out here:

www.neodigits.com

Their dvd players upscale in every possible connection. As a matter of fact, they can upconvert to 1080p only through component, HDMI>DVI just 1080i.

The only diference between component and DVI is that component is analog and dvi digital.

There are also cable topsets that deliver high definition signals through component, the Xbox 360 delivers high definition through component, so why not dvd's? Actually i've read that some people prefers the image quality through component rather than DVI, some others dont. Experts say its all about the TV you're using.

To end this msg, ive heard that TRUE high definition will only come with blue ray discs or HD-DVD. Both formats are still fighting to see which one will be the good one! LOL But im not expecting this to happen in the next 3-5 years...i mean to be commercial and afordable. You can try looking for "blue ray" (actually blu ray) at ebay and see the prices!

Hi everyone from Mexico City, i just found this forum and its a lot of help reading about this topics.

I just want to tell that you're wrong. DVD players CAN upscale over component. I came in trying to find dvd models that do that cuz the only ones ive found are a little bit expensive, check them out here:

www.neodigits.com

Their dvd players upscale in every possible connection. As a matter of fact, they can upconvert to 1080p only through component, HDMI>DVI just 1080i.

The only diference between component and DVI is that component is analog and dvi digital.

There are also cable topsets that deliver high definition signals through component, the Xbox 360 delivers high definition through component, so why not dvd's? Actually i've read that some people prefers the image quality through component rather than DVI, some others dont. Experts say its all about the TV you're using.

To end this msg, ive heard that TRUE high definition will only come with blue ray discs or HD-DVD. Both formats are still fighting to see which one will be the good one! LOL But im not expecting this to happen in the next 3-5 years...i mean to be commercial and afordable. You can try looking for "blue ray" (actually blu ray) at ebay and see the prices!

This dvd player is HORRIBLE

Read reviews on it, its Brutal, Doesn't even touch the OPPO.

Basically its a POS.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/sho...Player%20(HDMI)

51/100

WOW

OPPO 98/100

Hmmm

Edited by Dazog

I was talkign about this with some fellow best buy associates from around the country today and one guy mentioned how, in the manual, it states it only does upconversion over component video for DVD-R. While this sounds a little bogus, it may be something to keep in mind.

I heard that too.

I guess my vote would go to oppo, since they seem to frequently update their firmware to fix bugs and add features.

This dvd player is HORRIBLE

Read reviews on it, its Brutal, Doesn't even touch the OPPO.

Basically its a POS.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/sho...Player%20(HDMI)

51/100

WOW

OPPO 98/100

Hmmm

Hi, glad to hear that. I didnt know tis performance. The reason im here is, as i said, im looking for an upscaling dvd but i need component output since i dont have hdmi.

I found that these 2 models support high definition upscaling through component:

Samsung HD841

Zenith DVB318

Any comments about them? Or any other model that does it component?

Hi, glad to hear that. I didnt know tis performance. The reason im here is, as i said, im looking for an upscaling dvd but i need component output since i dont have hdmi.

I found that these 2 models support high definition upscaling through component:

Samsung HD841

Zenith DVB318

Any comments about them? Or any other model that does it component?

Does your TV have DVI?

Does your TV have DVI?

Hi, no i dont have dvi or hdmi, thats why im looking for component. I bought my tv about 3 years ago and i havent seen high definition yet! :(

Ive found the Samsung HD950. With a simple hack it can upscale through component, any comments about this player?

i've been looking at the philips DVP5900/37. it's an upgrade to the very popular DVP642.

it has HDMI upscaling. unfortunately, i have an older set that doesn't support HDMI, so i'm kinda screwed...

Does your TV have DVI?

Right now i have a Samsung CT32Z7P CRT television and a Marantz dvd. My tv has no hdmi or dvi, just component tough its ready for 1080i resolutions. with the Marantz dvd i get 480i.....do you really think it would be a significant better picture if i use the Samsung HD850 upconversion through component?

I hope the answer is YES cuz i dont want to buy a new tv with hdmi connections!

By the way, whats better for high resolution? CRT, Plasma, LCD??

• 3 weeks later...

There are NO good Upscaling DVD players for component, ONLY DVI/HDMI

get yourself a good 480p player and ride it out until you buy a TV for HD DVD's.

cause 480i and 480p are a big jump.

There are NO good Upscaling DVD players for component, ONLY DVI/HDMI

get yourself a good 480p player and ride it out until you buy a TV for HD DVD's.

cause 480i and 480p are a big jump.

Ok i get the point, my question is.....even if theres no "good" upscaling dvd players over component, the image wont be better in my CRT 1080i tv?

Marantz is an excelent dvd player tough its only 480i. I hooked up an awfull dvd player ($28) which is 480p and there?s no comparisson! The Marantz looks muuuch better even being 480i.

Im trying to sell my tv and buy a new one with hdmi, but in the mean time if i can get a better picture with the upscale id buy it right now and not waiting untill i have a new tv. Ive seen on bestbuy there?re already HD DVD and Blu Ray dvd players....but those ill wait for the prices to low down! (HD DVD $499 - Blu Ray $999)

I guess the only way then to get hi-def component output for DVDs is to use a computer with a gfx card with component out.

That's the only way so far. We'll see how good/bad the quality is with the new HD DVD and Blu Ray.

I had tried the LG upconverting DVD player (LDA-531) and I don't think the price is worth it to use it with component. I see some resolution increase but not much. I would've kept the LDA-531 if the picture quality is better, but there is this annoying contrast (dynamic range) problem. It is as I am watching the TV through a thin layer of fog/smoke. Turning down brightness in TV helped a bit but does not eliminate it.

That's the only way so far. We'll see how good/bad the quality is with the new HD DVD and Blu Ray.

I had tried the LG upconverting DVD player (LDA-531) and I don't think the price is worth it to use it with component. I see some resolution increase but not much. I would've kept the LDA-531 if the picture quality is better, but there is this annoying contrast (dynamic range) problem. It is as I am watching the TV through a thin layer of fog/smoke. Turning down brightness in TV helped a bit but does not eliminate it.

This is what ive understood for what ive read. Analog and digital (component/hdmi) should have exactlly the same picture quality since they're HD capable signals. The industry in makeing all HD devices through digital because of HDCP. HDCP works only with digital signals, not analog.

Now....the reason ive found that there is no good upconverting dvd is simple. For example, samsung HD-931. It uses the Faroudja for digital upconversion...but when it comes to analog it uses a poor chip instead of faroudja.

I need a little help understanding something. Video DAC. 12bit/54Mhz This i dont understand. I think the mhz thing its the speed it converts digital to analog...not too important in picture quality right? What about the bit thing?? ive seen 8bit to 16bit. What is it about?

The only thing holding me back from the oppo is the DVI output. When they release their next model with a HDMI I will buy it.

there's no reason why that should hold you back. the dvi and hdmi signal is the same for video. the only difference is that HDMI carries audio as well...and if you have a nice setup, you're not playing audio through your TV anyway and chances are that your receiver doesn't support HDMI input anyway.

I was talkign about this with some fellow best buy associates from around the country today and one guy mentioned how, in the manual, it states it only does upconversion over component video for DVD-R. While this sounds a little bogus, it may be something to keep in mind.

by default, yes it only upconverts to 1080i through HDMI, however...there are codes online to turn off macrovision and hDCP so that you can get 1080i through component if your TV doesn't have HDMI input.

Also, the 531 was renamed to SDA-511 or something like that.

This is what ive understood for what ive read. Analog and digital (component/hdmi) should have exactlly the same picture quality since they're HD capable signals. The industry in makeing all HD devices through digital because of HDCP. HDCP works only with digital signals, not analog.

Now....the reason ive found that there is no good upconverting dvd is simple. For example, samsung HD-931. It uses the Faroudja for digital upconversion...but when it comes to analog it uses a poor chip instead of faroudja.

I need a little help understanding something. Video DAC. 12bit/54Mhz This i dont understand. I think the mhz thing its the speed it converts digital to analog...not too important in picture quality right? What about the bit thing?? ive seen 8bit to 16bit. What is it about?

The bit part is the accuracy of the conversion; the higher the bit number, the more accurate. However, higher bit generates more data.

It makes sense if it uses another (not Faroudja) chip that converts poorly for analog. The problem with contrast that I mentioned was not limited to HD res, it is on all the resolutions (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i). Even a $69 Koss 5121-2 DVD (480p) shows better contrast, even though the LG has better resolution at 720 and 1080 (It had better be!). I think I made the correct decision in returning it. I'll wait until the chip gets better and the price to drop or use a PC with HD-DVD / Blu-Ray drive and component output. ;)

Here's the DVD player I mentioned. It may only be available in Canada. The version that I tested came with the new firmware and to hack it no firmware upgrade as was reported in videohelp.com was necessary. I was able to turn off Macrovision, HDCP, etc. right out of the box and it was already region free.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...10061641&catid=

The bit part is the accuracy of the conversion; the higher the bit number, the more accurate. However, higher bit generates more data.

It makes sense if it uses another (not Faroudja) chip that converts poorly for analog. The problem with contrast that I mentioned was not limited to HD res, it is on all the resolutions (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i). Even a $69 Koss 5121-2 DVD (480p) shows better contrast, even though the LG has better resolution at 720 and 1080 (It had better be!). I think I made the correct decision in returning it. I'll wait until the chip gets better and the price to drop or use a PC with HD-DVD / Blu-Ray drive and component output. ;)

Here's the DVD player I mentioned. It may only be available in Canada. The version that I tested came with the new firmware and to hack it no firmware upgrade as was reported in videohelp.com was necessary. I was able to turn off Macrovision, HDCP, etc. right out of the box and it was already region free.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...10061641&catid=

So i guess LG is not a very good player right? Good to know so i dont buy it. Im very happy with my marantz. Id like to buy a new upconversion model, but they're too expensive! So, let me get this right...the mhz thing is the speed of converting digital to analog, acording to some reads, for progresive scan 54Mhz is enough...what about 108mhz or even 216mhz? Is it a waste of technology just for 480p? Now, the bit thing. For progresive scan, or any...the higher the bit the better the image quality?? Or not so important?

I want to be sure cuz ive seen some strange things. My marantz is 10 bit / 27Mhz (480i) and the quality is great. I hooked my parents sony dvd 12 bit/54mhz (480p) and i get better picture quality with the marantz. So, whats the deal here? How can i know which one's a good dvd player when i buy one?

I hear the sony should be pretty good and is comparable in price but not yet available. Not sure about the Toshiba.

I have installed many of the Pioneers and then never disapoint.

The Oppo still uses DVI. They need to upgrade their hardware. LG has a few good units, but I like the Sony DVP-NS750H. What it lacks in extra format support, it makes up for with good picture quality.