423 or 478 , what is the diff for P4

The most significant difference is the 423 was just an interim solution to get the P4 into the market. It has/had a very short shelf life, and I think can only support clock speeds up to 2GHz, where as the 478 is the one they should've bought out had it been ready in time, and supports speeds way past 2GHz.

so the 423 isn't going to be supported for very long ???

and the 478 should be supported longer.....

So if one is looking for a P4 avoid the 423 ???

and go with 478 for future upgrades of CPU ???

:ponder:

Why bother with an over-priced POS as the Pee4?

As seen by Intels past they change their packaging to often, so knew motherboards are a constant.

But with AMD they have the SocketA package that is said to remain constant so that you meirly need a BIOS update to use newer chips. The socketA has been in use for 4generations of AMD chips now. and the only package change I see is for an enirly differant architecture....the Clawhammer 64-bit chip.

Intel is a joke, a company that intends users to jump through hoops to satisfy it's own ambitions. Microsoft has been able to get away with this due to kack of competition, but intel is quickly realizing that it does not have this luxury. I for one buy AMD because of the reasons listed in this forum. Buy AMD, not to **** off intel, not because you feel like you're rooting for the underdog, but because it's a better value for you.

for one thing the 478 socket is tiny, first P4 i worked on that had one made my jaw drop, the chip is literally about the size of a quarter, all of it die with barely any of the board visible.