[CES '06] Pioneer Shows Off 50" 1080p Plasma

1080p native resolution promises to deliver every detail of 1080i, the highest-resolution HDTV format, but until now it was available in only DLP and LCoS rear-projection HDTVs and flat-panel LCD HDTVs. Now 1080p is coming to plasma. Pioneer will be among the first to put the pixel-rich panels in stores, and its first 1080p plasma is also the smallest announced at CES. (Panasonic also announced a 65-incher, and larger concept pieces were on display from Samsung and LG.)

The 50-inch Pioneer Elite Pro-FHD1 has more than double the number of pixels--1,920x1,080--found on previous 50-inch plasmas, which offer either 1,280x768 or 1,366x768 resolution. Pioneer mentioned a number of enhancements, but the most important is simply smaller pixels: the panel's pixels are 35 percent smaller than those of its predecessors.

Uniquely, the Pro-FHD1 will not be equipped with any sort of tuning capability--it's simply a monitor and doesn't have the external media center found on current models. Pioneer's rep explained that tuners were omitted from the first-generation version as a cost-cutting measure and also to reduce interference that may result from having RF circuitry inside the panel itself. Like most of the 1080p-capable displays we saw at the show and unlike most on the market now, the Pro-FHD1 will be able to accept 1080p formats via its HDMI inputs.

We saw a demo of the Pro-FHD1 in Pioneer's booth, where the panel was connected via HDMI to the company's Blu-ray player running a mixture of 1080p and 1080i native demo material. The 1080p images of Chicken Little looked stunningly detailed from a viewing distance of about three feet, and it certainly seemed to deliver on the promise of the higher resolution. We'll have an opportunity to evaluate the panel in-depth once Pioneer ships a working sample. The Pro-FHD1 will be available in June for $8,000, roughly twice as much as the company's current-generation 50-inch plasma.

Source and Pictures

I know Panasonic and LG also announced 1080p sets, but this is the first one at a more reasonable size for the average consumer, so I chose to post about this one since the reduction in pixel size is very intriguing.

DLP will be around for a while, but I really think LCoS will take it's place in time. It's just a better projection technology.

DLP will be around for a while, but I really think LCoS will take it's place in time. It's just a better projection technology.

LCD is definitely the future. I just recently got the Elite 1130HD and even with 1080i resolution simply there isn't enough broadcast material to fill that resolution little less 1080p. There isn't a single network that broadcasts in real 1080i and not to mention 1080p. The line up of HD channels is ridiculous. We have maybe 5 real HD channels and that's heavily compressed for increased bandwith usage. I'm just curious to see how HD-DVD or BluRay come out, they'll still be heavily compressed I guarantee it.

And no external tuner to hookups. Bad thing. I paid my Elite $5k, this one with the price tag of $8k is simply laughable. I would rather get 61" Elite for $8k then this.

DLP/LCoS is just simply inferior technology. I hate the viewing angle issue even if I have 10 or 20 inches more. It's improved, but plasma still has my vote (afterall that's why I got it).

DLP/LCoS is just simply inferior technology. I hate the viewing angle issue even if I have 10 or 20 inches more. It's improved, but plasma still has my vote (afterall that's why I got it).

Like I said, LCoS is the better projection technology. Look at the Sony SXRD's. They have a good 130 degree viewing angle before the picture alters, at all, and you can still see it from as close to 180 as you can get. When it comes down to it, it's all about needs. You can connect a PC to LCoS with no problems. Plasma's are a different story. If you are a marathon gamer, you also would be better suited with LCoS.