How to Prevent Murder

:o Shocking list found on the Net ... for what it's worth:

Violence usually begins with invasion of someone's personal space, respect, or dignity. Everyone feels entitled to these things, whether or not everyone else agrees.

Despite the attention given to random violence, especially in our slums, in recent decades, most homicides are still committed by someone the victim knows. The larger story of any homicide or suicide seldom shows the finer side of humankind. Your lecturer is no expert on security or crime prevention, but he's had considerable reading and professional experience relating to homicides.

The following suggestions will not make you immune to becoming a homicide victim, but will greatly reduce your risk of dying at the hand of someone you know:

1. Don't bully anyone, physically or verbally.

2. Don't ridicule anyone. (This is a really important survival tip.)

3. Don't try to take another person's wife or girlfriend.

4. Don't crowd or speak rudely to a person who is obviously upset, even if he or she is threatening you or someone else.

5. When a relationship breaks up, be tactful and kind to the person to whom you were important.

6. Don't deal drugs.

7. Don't do sexual things for money or drugs.

8. Men: Don't carry a weapon. (This applies in the vast majority of circumstances. There are exceptions.)

9. Women: Don't be a sexual tease.

10. Gay men: Don't do sexual things with men you don't know well, or with jealous (i.e., nutty, insecure) men. Don't ask out men you don't know well.

11. Children and teens: If the adults you must live with are abusive, pretend you love them anyway. :huh:

I think the problem with this list is inconsistancy... I can break it down as follows:

Pts. 1-5: General guidelines, all pretty good ones, that we should all follow.

Pts. 6-7: No longer completely general, these stem from the author's personal sentiments. They are still valid for most though, I definitely agree with them.

Pts. 8-11: Involving even more personal sentiment, and not even ones I agree with. I could debate any given one and win.

This guy goes from social views to his own views. Weak.