Neowin has yet another Mac user!

Ohyeah! Went out and bought an eMac today. Noone answered my ad about a used PowerMac, but this seems like a very nice little machine. I've only had it for about an hour right now, and I haven't done anything more than move over some stuff from the PC.

Got a question.. How do I partition my hard drive? Is it possible when you haven't got the retail OS X cd at all? I want to have my files on one partition, that's why I'm asking.

Also, if you have any "must-have" tips for me, be it about the OS or some apps I need to have, feel free to post them :)

lucky dog :p

i think gatorzx2 started a thread similar to this in the mac forum, you might want to check there for some tips.

This thread has a lot of useful links and applications for OS X.

If you bought your eMac new, it should contain the OS X CD, even if you bought it used it should included it. To partition you just boot from the CD by turning on the Mac with the CD in it and hold C. When setup starts, go to file - disc utility and it has a graphical partition tool.

hehe im the proud ower of a Mac Classic, Mac Quadra 700, Power Mac 6200/75 and a Power Mac 7500/100 - it even has svideo imput for video editting :p

I simply love old macs, i especially like the 6x00 and 8600/9600 series powermacs coz their beige (or whatever apple calls their case color) cases rock! :D

Originally posted by Dazzla

This thread has a lot of useful links and applications for OS X.

If you bought your eMac new, it should contain the OS X CD, even if you bought it used it should included it. To partition you just boot from the CD by turning on the Mac with the CD in it and hold C. When setup starts, go to file - disc utility and it has a graphical partition tool.

I just saw that I had a CD labelled "Mac OS X Install" :D

I have another question though.. When I've transferred my MP3 collection from the PC to the Mac, shouldn't iTunes or Audion be able to use the .m3u playlists? Nothing happens when I try to load them in iTunes, and Audion just dies :o

[edit] Oh, and also.. How do I use .sit.bin files? Do I mount them or.. ? Trying to install ircle.

Not sure about that. iTunes doesn't save it's playlists (I don't think so anyway) they are just *there* :p

Audion is crap, kitten swears by it but I still think it's rubbish. Have you tried going to file - import in iTunes?

For the .sit.bin file, that should just open in Stuffit expander. It will decode it, dump the .sit file in the same folder then unstuff the .sit file.