Can you watch TV on a projector?

About a week ago I got a projector and have been having a blast playing xbox 360 and watching movies on it. The throw is like 7? by 11.5? so its like a 150inch screen TV I love it, however I have a problem. The super bowl is coming up and I don?t have any way to watch TV on the thing. I wanted to have a supper bowl party but?well I can?t just hook up rabbit ears to the thing. Here are a couple facts that might be helpful to know.

1) I do not have cable

2) I do not have a TV with video out (or any TV)

3) The projector has an s-video in, a RCA video in (the little yellow one), a component in (currently used for my x360), a pc (VGA) in, and a HDMI in

So any ideas? Can I buy a little adapter box and hook it up to rabbit ears or is my only option to buy a TV with video out? I could buy cable service if I have to but would rather not.

Can I buy a little adapter box and hook it up to rabbit ears or is my only option to buy a TV with video out?

Could you borrow a VCR? - they tend to have built-in tuners and RCA video out

I don't have a VCR anymore. I'd say your best bet would be to go buy an old second hand one for the time being, then maybe look into getting hold of a stand alone tuner.

Can I buy a TV tuner for a Computer? If so about how much would it cost?...otherwise looks like i am off to buy a cheep VCR.

There are many PC TV tuners out there. Most if not all have cable or antenna in. Search for ATI or Hauppauge in google and look for the models that have s-video out. I don't think any model has output port higher than s-video. They cost about CDN $50, a bit less than a VCR, but not much.

You have a projector and an Xbox 360, but no VCR in the house? :blink:

Or for that matter, anything that tunes a TV signal?

yes that is correct...my wife left me for another guy and took everything, the only electronical thing she left in the house was my laptop. She even took my game cube which she got for me as a birthday present :no: The xbox360 and projector I just installed like 2 weeks ago. So...that is why I have a $3k home theater system with no VCR or anything in my house that tunes in a TV signal.

yes that is correct...my wife left me for another guy and took everything, the only electronical thing she left in the house was my laptop. She even took my game cube which she got for me as a birthday present :no: The xbox360 and projector I just installed like 2 weeks ago. So...that is why I have a $3k home theater system with no VCR or anything in my house that tunes in a TV signal.

I feel for ya man :( Thats rough!

If you get a TVCard the PC will always have to be on, and it will have to come with a remote... which i don't think the cheap ones come with... Plus they can be buggy.... Not sure what is the best solution in your case. If i knew you in person i would give you my VCR which i don't use anymore, its in good shape and only collecting dust.

IMHO, a good TV card would be a better purchase than an old-fashioned VCR. With good software it would turn your computer into a home media-center (Personal Video Recorder (PVR))

IMHO, a good TV card would be a better purchase than an old-fashioned VCR. With good software it would turn your computer into a home media-center (Personal Video Recorder (PVR))

I only have a laptop. Is there anyway to get a TV card that is usb as apposed to PCI or whatever?

http://www.hauppauge.com/html/usb_data.htm

http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/pc/pc_pcmciatv.htm

I don't know about the quality of these two products (their just the first links I clicked on after a quick search) but their the kind of thing your after. Of the two types, I would go for the PCMCIA. I still think an old VCR is a hassle free way to go. You know what PC's can be like, just as the big game is about to start, the bloody thing will start giving you grief and all your pals will start throwing beer cans at you. Thats not to say, you shouldn't get a tuner for your comp, it's a cool thing to have.

And yeah, sorry to hear about your troubles. Chin up ;)

Ouch. Consider my foot firmly wedged in my mouth. :blush: :pinch: Sorry to hear, man. Pick up some Wal-Mart cheapie deal, if you don't need more than a tuner.

I only have a laptop. Is there anyway to get a TV card that is usb as apposed to PCI or whatever?

USBs (externals) tend to be more expensive as they have power adapter and casings. For recording to hard drive (PVR) at the highest quality the USB ones usually require a USB2 interface (480 Mbps), not all the laptop have that built in.

Ouch. Consider my foot firmly wedged in my mouth. :blush: :pinch: Sorry to hear, man. Pick up some Wal-Mart cheapie deal, if you don't need more than a tuner.

Don't feel bad man no way you could have know

I checked these out but all the reviews seem to say they have poor picture quality :( Its not problem though I found an old VCR at my parents house I snagged :yes: So I am all set....except rabbit ears suck and my picture is a bit fuzzy.../sigh looks like I will be getting cable for the super bowl. I may go check out a tunner at walmart to though they seem cheep.

Thanks for all your help guys

With that kind of a projector, is there no way for you to get an HD signal?

ATI sells HD video cards I believe that you can hook up to your comp... I'm not sure if they're USB though. But HD would look awesome on a projector that size and a helluva lot better than standard definition.

• 3 weeks later...