http://www.hardware-update.com ?

There is no Windows 2000 compatible DVD decoder installed on this system. A DVD decoder device or decoder software is requived to play movies (a DVD drive alone is not sufficient).

If this computer could play DVD Videos before Windows 2000 was installed then your DVD decoder is not compatible with Windows 2000. You may be able to fix this problem by downloading new decoder software from your computer manufacturer. Please visit http://www.hardware-update.com using your Internet browser

I'm getting this error on a fresh install of windows 2000 when i put in a dvd movie. how is it possibly doing that? ms would never redirect to some non-microsoft website. anyone ever heard of something like this?

also, i have windows media player which should play dvd's fine.

if you just installed windows 2000 and did not disable the messenger service then you have your self a trojan my friend.

Just install the latest anti-virus solution you have, disable the messenger service, then install the latest version of spybot and voila, now you just have to follow the last steps carefully: Scan, Scan and Scan and your good to go.

dont forget to leave the windows firewall up and running all the time. ( even if ressource ungry ) it is allway's good to have.

By the way that is what i have ( windows firewall, norton anti-virus, spybot s&d latest ) and never get popups or trojans or virus and i do scan every night the computer and none found.

Have a nice day. Hope it helps.

And i know some of you dont agree but hey i dont get any virus or trojans or popups so basically i am very protected and did not had to format since a year.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1205151,00.asp

All too often, though, I'm disappointed. Like many people with Windows 2000 installations, I've dutifully trotted off periodically to Microsoft's special site for Windows drivers, known as hardware-update.com. Windows 2000 suggests that you go there a lot. Here are a few examples:

If you try to play a DVD on your computer but the latest driver for your DVD hardware isn't installed, you'll get an error message about a missing "DVD decoder" and will be told to go to hardware-update.com.

If Windows 2000 is installed for the first time and notices that a PC's BIOS isn't adequate, you see a pretty blue screen that lets you know this. It says, "Contact your system manufacturer or visit www.hardware-update.com."

The whole W2K operating system is on the lookout for opportunities to direct you to hardware-update.com. References to this domain name are embedded in such system files as NTkrnlpa.exe and NTOSkrnl.exe.

For a time, hardware-update.com had useful information and plenty of new drivers. But then a funny thing happened. At some point, Microsoft lost control of the hardware-update.com domain name. Now it's run by Ultimate Search (ultimatesearch.com), a company in Hong Kong, which uses the site to display sponsored links that aren't labeled as ads.

If interested check this out. says that microsoft IS (or at least was) the owner of www.hardware-update.com. So the solutoin to the problem is actually not spyware/trojan related but most likely the user (me) must either 1. download the newest version of direct x and/or purchase dvd viewing software such as power dvd.

Edited by KK3

dont forget to leave the windows firewall up and running all the time. ( even if ressource ungry ) it is allway's good to have.

umm...Windows 2000 doesn't have a built-in firewall...... :no:

I agree w/ the spyware scans, even do them in safe mode, but you don't need external players if you install the right codecs......try XP Codec pack.....it even works on those 2k machines w/out Power DVD......that is, just use MPlayer Classic....should do the trick....(I use a Dell with 2k on it....it does work...for me)