Network printer sharing error

Hey guys, I'm at the end of my rope on this problem and am hoping the guys here at Neowin can help.

The situation is as follows. I have my DSL connection coming through to a Linksys wireless router. I have a desktop PC hardwired to the router, and I have a laptop connected wirelessly. Both are on Windows XP Home with SP2(both systems belong to my girl friend).

The problem is, I'm trying to share out the USB printer that is connected to the desktop to where she can print from the laptop. I've turned off all the firewalls, I have both systems on the HOME workgroup, and have the printer shared out. I can ping the desktop from the laptop, I can even type the IP address in explorer and see the folders and the printer that I have shared out.

Now this is the kicker to me. I can access the folders I have shared out on the desktop from the laptop, but when I try to connect to the printer I get the following error:

"Operation could not be completed. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lot its connection to the server."

BTW, I'm a field tech, s I've gone through all the typical motions I go through to solve a problem, and I just can't figure this one out. Any help from you guys would be appreciated.

On the computer that has the printer, disable simple file sharing. Then go to printers and faxes, enter the properties of the printer, click the security tab. Everyone should be present. If not, click the add.. button, type "everyone" and press OK. Then configure full permissions for everyone. This will, at least, enable you to remotely manage the printer.

I used to manage printers on a workgroup. I think we ran windows 98 or 2000. I recall that on the computer serving the printer you had to go into the pritner properties and make sure it's being shared right. I forget the steps but it's easy. Then on the computer accessing the printer you had to browse the network for the printer and double click on it to add. You should be able to give it a custom name and such. Perhaps the router is blocking the connection? I know my linksys setup http page is bogus full of options. I don't think it matters if the printer is network ready or not, it should still work fine.

Spyder,

Have you ever used this printer as a shared printer before? If not, I know that some printers require you to install their software on all computers before you can share them. So, you may need to hook it up to the Laptop, insert any CD / download and install any drivers, and then make sure you can print from the laptop that way. Once done, you should then be able to reconnect it to the Desktop computer, and hopefully share it.

If not, what are the basic troubleshooting steps you have already undertaken?

Thanks Unholy, but simple file and printer sharing can only be turned on and off in Windows XP Pro, not Home Edition.

Then you are screwed care of MS.

There is no fundamental reason why it should not be possible; I've just shared a USB printer attached to an XP Home SP2 box, and can access it no problem from an XP Pro SP2 box on the same network. I can't see why it would be any different if the machine I was accessing it from was XP Home.

Did you browse to the name of shared printer, or type it in as \\hostname\printershare ? I found that browsing does work, but you may have wait several minutes. When I did reach the printer, the name which came up when I browsed was NOT the name I typed in the box to share it. Using Add Printer was faster - I typed \\hostname\ and \epson 880 etc came up as an autocomplete option.

I did wonder about your "hardwired" router - do you mean USB? The USB connections to routers don't always have full networking functionality excpet to the Web. But since you can share folders, it probably isn't that.

Chris

To turn off simple file sharing in xp home:

1. Restart your computer in Safe Mode. To do this, follow these steps.

2. Restart your computer. Before you see the Windows XP logo, hold down the F8 key.

3. Select Safe Mode.

4. Login in as Administrator. You'll get a warning about running in Safe Mode. Click Yes.

5. Find the folder whose permissions you wish to change, right click on that folder, and select Properties.

6. You can now change all the properties of the folder just like you would in Windows 2000.

Spyder - further to my post yesterday, I've now installed on another XP home box; watching more closely.

When I typed in the address, I got NO autocomplete. The address, when typed, gave me the error you got.

So I deleted the address, and left the box empty, but selected the radio button for a networked printer (which is what it says to do, to browse). Then I clicked next, and got the workgroup name - clicked on that and waited several minutes, after which the names of the printers came up and I could select the one I wanted. As before, it was NOT the name I'd shared the printer as, it was the original manufacturers name which the printer is known by on it's home box.

HTH