Tools needed to compile

Hi, I recently installed Ubuntu on my PC and I need to build ndiswrapper to get my wireless card up and running...

and of course Ubuntu doesn't come with the build tools to compile it... and I cant connect my PC to anywhere because it's wireless... So I decided to get on my brothers laptop to get the tools needed...

And I don't know what I need.

care to tell me what I'd need to compile?

thanks in advance

You need to ./configure first, then it will tell you if your missing anything. From there its usually "make" then "make install". Just make sure you read the readme/docs :)

Alright, I understand the ./configure, but I decided to just do the make command, and it sayd the make command was not found, thats why I was kinda wonderin. But I will do the .debs

And I'll give you the update later.

alright, i got the files downloaded and onto my ubuntu box

but i'm currently getting an error message with sudo

heres what i put in

----------

linux@ubuntu:~$ sudo dkpg -i ndiswrapper-utils_1.1-4ubuntu2_i386.deb ndisgtk_0.5-lubuntul_all.deb

sudo: unable to lookup ubuntu via gethostbyname()

Password:postdrop: warning: unable to look up public/pickup: No such file or directory

----------

that's what it said when i put that command in

do you know anything about this?

and i've searched google and yahoo, everywhere, and they have said to go into recovery mode and fix the /etc/hosts file, and i have done that (go into recovery mode), and i get into the file, but im not able to put anything in it, my PC speaker just beeps when i hit a key.

i guess im helpless.

bump

Recovery mode

Open a shell

1. log in with root or sudo -s
  2. ifconfig eth0 down
  3. nano /etc/hosts
  4. edit the hostname on the line starting with 127.0.0.1 make sure you put the original "localhost" hostname
    and put your LAN ip like 192.168.*.* with an hostname like "ubuntubox"
  5. hostname "ubuntubox"
  6. ifconfig eth0 up
  7. done and then reboot to normal mode

Edited by ep0niks

And isn't this in the wrong forum? This section is for completed howtos. *does the moderator call - blaaaeeeeggggggggaaalooooooo* (don't ask where i got that.)