JBL SCS-145.5

Hey guys, I don't know much about Home Theater Speakers but I figured people on this thread really know what they're talking about. I'm looking to upgrade the speakers for my Home Theater System. I currently have a decent A/V Receiver with sub-preout (so I'm looking for a powered sub). Actually, I'm pretty content with the Subwoofer that I have now, so if I could save the money on the sub and just buy higher quality for the other 5 speakers that would be great. I'm looking to spend roughly $200, and my Receiver is capable of 100w/channel output.

It is a Philips receiver, model no: FR-968; My current speakers are the ones that came with this Home Theater in A Box with the following model numbers: MX955 MX96637 MX9663 MX970D3.

I was looking at the JBL SCS-145.5, what do you guys think of that system? It looks to have very good frequency response which I assume gives you good highs/lows. I'm just not sure what else I would look into for the specs to determine if this would be a good system or not.

Mfg. Website Link: http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_d...cat=SCS&ser=SCS

What about: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1110263641433

Any other recommendations? I don't mind buying speakers seperately as long as the total cost is around $200.

Thanks for any and all help! :)

It's a decent budget system, though I've never been able to hear them on a proper set up to truly determine their quality. Glancing over reviews, it seems some people have noticed a slightly cold sounding mid ranged like I had noticed on our disaster of a set up at work. For the money, though, you definitely won't find anything better. I'd say go with them. It comes with a sub, so you know.

Edit: Avoid that Sony system. POor receiver with VERY limited inputs and very poor speakers.

Where did you read reviews on the JBL system? I havn't really been able to find any detailed reviews.

Do you have anything better you could suggest that's around the $200+ price range?

Where did you read reviews on the JBL system? I havn't really been able to find any detailed reviews.

Do you have anything better you could suggest that's around the $200+ price range?

I saw a few on random sites doing a google search. As for better in that price range, I'll quote myself:

For the money, though, you definitely won't find anything better
Edited by bangbang023

Does impedance matter when selecting speakers in regards to compatability with my current receiver? Currently, the speakers that came with my receiver all have 8ohm impedance. What is the difference b/w an 8ohm impedance speaker versus a 6ohm impedance speaker in regards to performance/sound/compatability?