"Access Denied"

i have just brought over one of my old hdds from my old cpu which was formerly installed with windows xp professional. now upon attempting to access folders in one of the user accounts, i get the error which says "Access is Denied". i tried booting from the old hdd but the computer just keeps restarting itself. are there any solutions to this problem such as programs to access such folders? or is reformatting the only solution?

i have just brought over one of my old hdds from my old cpu which was formerly installed with windows xp professional. now upon attempting to access folders in one of the user accounts, i get the error which says "Access is Denied". i tried booting from the old hdd but the computer just keeps restarting itself. are there any solutions to this problem such as programs to access such folders? or is reformatting the only solution?

Would I be correct in assuming that you slaved the old HDD to your current system, in order to access the old files?

you could simply right click the files or folders you want to access, and take the ownership.

(go to security, advanced, owner, and make yourself the owner of the folder/file)

thats it.

Would I be correct in assuming that you slaved the old HDD to your current system, in order to access the old files?

yes i slaved it so that i can access the files.

how do i take ownership of the folder? where is this 'security' you mentioned?

yes i slaved it so that i can access the files.

how do i take ownership of the folder? where is this 'security' you mentioned?

If you right click on the folder, then left click on properties and select the "Security" tab you will have the right to take ownership of the folder.

This is provided that you are logged on to the system as an Administrator and that the drive is slaved. If you have booted to the drive (as I think you previously mentioned you tried) you would need the Admin privilage still to do this.

Hope that helps!

the thing is, i am indeed logged in as the administrator and the drive is slaved but i am unable to obtain ownership of the folder @_@. please help me if im doing anything wrong.

-Start | Control Panel | Folder Options | View | Untick "Use Simple file Sharing".

-Go to locked folder.

-Right click | Properties

-Go to Security tab

-Highlight your account (Administrator or Chris, in my case)

-Tick Full Control

-Go to "Advanced"

-Tick "Inherit from parent etc" and select "Apply".

That should do it.