Marcos Baghdatis

Dunno how many people here follow tennis, but I've been watching this guy work his way through the rankings at the Austrailian Open and he just amazes me. He has quickly become my favorite player, partly because everyone like an underdog, but mostly just for his spirit. He just seems to have so much fun out there and his fans just add to the excitement. I can't wait to see him develop more over time. We may have a new star in Marcos Baghdatis.

If you want to see him play turn on ESPN2 (US) right now. They are about to reply last nights match and man was it an amazing one. Possibly the most exciting match of the entire tournament.

So the Australian Open Mens Final is going to be Federer and Baghdatis. You know, I WOULD have said that it was going to be an easy match for Federer, but seeing how Marcos has played, we know otherwise. He was ranked #54 coming into the tournament and has already beaten the #2, #7, and #4 seeds, why not the #1 seed as well? Who would have thought he would make it so far. Well, I do like Federer, but I've got to cheer for Baghdatis in this one. Best of luck to him. The final match will be Saturday Night over there, today they'll have the Womens Singles Final among other matches.

Marcos Baghdatis has been quite a treat to watch, but I watched Federer's semi-final match and in the 3rd and 4th set he absolutely ripped apart Kiefer. Had Federer struggled in this semi, I would have been much more concerned, but I hope that Federer destroys Baghdatis. I know Baghdatis is the underdog and all, so people will be rooting for him, but i want the dominating Federer back, and in the 3rd and 4th set of the semi, he was back.

I hope Federer takes it to another level and lets the rest of the players know he's going to win it all :D. The problem with Baghdatis is that he plays on emotion and momentum, and that lack of consistency could be his downfall. Baghdatis will need to play perfect tennis, but I wonder how much gas is left in his tank, even with a 2 day rest.

Yeah, Baghdatis is still young, and obviously there will be rookie mistakes. That's part of what makes me think he could be REALLY good in a year or two. It'll be his toughest match by far, but don't even want to try to make a prediction after the upsets he's pulled so far. Honestly I liked him when he played Roddick because I don't like Roddick much, but also like you said, because he was the underdog, but after him watch a few matches, it really has nothing to do with that anymore for me. He just goes out there and has a great time and wants his fans to have a great time too. He's by far my favorite player to watch.

If Baghdatis can get the momentum swinging his way, we should see a real match. Federer doesn't respond to pressure well. You saw him against Haas and Davydenko. By rights, he shouldn't have even won the Davydenko match the way he was playing (framing the ball, poorly timed forehands and backhands, even missing regulation smashes and volleys). If Baghdatis can get one of the first two sets (and if his crowd of supporters are there, gotta love'em), he's definitely a shot for the championship. Regardless of the outcome, I'm sure we'll see much more of him in the future.

There has been a celebration right here in Melbourne particularly in Greek/Cyprus community where Marcos got full support from the supporters. He was dine in downtown Melbourne few hours after he won the semifinal match.

This guy is amazing, he really like to have fun playing tennis. Good luck to Marcos. It's time the new player to come up to the top :)

Watching Marcos Baghdatis play reminds me of Guga play, not the style, but how much heart and enthusiasm he plays with. I do wish him luck, but he has a bout with history and that man is Roger "Mutha****in'" Federer. I hope to see more of this talented man later down the road :)

Baghdatis is good, but this match showed the gap between Federer and the rest, when Federer hits his own level. In the first set, and half of the second set, Federer was playing cautiously, perhaps trying to figure out Baghdatis... but then... Boom, high gear and it was over for Baghdatis.

It was nice to see Federer show some emotion during the speech, at least the crowd knows how much it meant to him, the match as well as the presence of Rod Laver.

:D

Did Baghdatis forget to thank his girlfriend? I sure he did. He thanked Garnier though. Oh dear :pinch:

This might be the start of a Grand Slam year for Federer. The only man who can stop him in my opinion: Rafael Nadal -- amazing on clay -- might stop him at the French Open.

I fell asleep in the third set haha, it was like 4am here. Oh well. From what I saw it was a good match, but in the third match you could tell the exhaustion of many hard matches was taking it's toll on Baghdatis, and Federer was finally settling in and playing his kind of Tennis. Federer is just unbelievable, great player. Baghdatis did his best and I'm extremely impressed with his performance overall in the tournament. This finish will boost his ranking a LOT, and with more practice, I expect to see this kid kicking ass sometime soon :) Congrats to Federer for his 7th Grand Slam Title, and congrats to Baghdatis for an amazing tournament.

Did Baghdatis forget to thank his girlfriend? I sure he did. He thanked Garnier though. Oh dear :pinch:

This might be the start of a Grand Slam year for Federer. The only man who can stop him in my opinion: Rafael Nadal -- amazing on clay -- might stop him at the French Open.

lol, exactly what I was thinking, and the US announcer said the same thing, but it doesn't seem that big a deal for me. Apparently she has cause quite a stir at the AO, and rightfully so :laugh:

I do feel Roger played cautiously, but that was because he was missing quite often. I think he thought that Baghdatis would start thinking about winning, and choke under the pressure, but that didn't happen. I also think Baghdatis started playing less confidently than Roger taking it up a notch. Don't get me wrong he did play some "Federer" esqe points, but nothing like in the other 6 finals for sure. Good run none the less. Go Baghdatis and Federer ;)