XP setup does not detect SATA hard drive

I installed a new motherboard today, and when I try to install Windows, setup doesn't detect any of my SATA hard drives. I looked in the manual that came with the motherboard (Foxconn 925XE7AA-8EKRS2) and couldn't find anything. Is there some setting in BIOS or CMOS that would help?

You must manually load the SATA drivers (from a floppy i might add) during the inital xp setup loading process. Either that, or you can slipstream the drivers in. XP does not support most SATA controllers natively

It came with some SATA RAID Driver floppies. Is that what I need? I'll go check. Sorry. I'm kind of a newb when it comes to building computers, as this is my first.

ooh, i remember the first (and only, so far) time i installed an sata drive. man, that was a pain in the butt. it took me a while to figure out i needed drivers on a floppy, but i hadn't bought a floppy drive since i never thought i'd need it, so i had to pull one out of another machine and put that in. :hmmm:

so yup, those sata raid driver floppies should be exactly what you need.

You must manually load the SATA drivers (from a floppy i might add) during the inital xp setup loading process. Either that, or you can slipstream the drivers in. XP does not support most SATA controllers natively

Press the F6 key during the first part of the install

Now I've run into another problem. I'm using my floppy drive from my Dell Dimension 4700. When I press F6 during setup, it doesn't detect any floppy drive, soI haven't been able to install the drivers. Now, I looked at my drive, the ribbon, and the connection for it on my old motherboard, and I noticed some differences. The floppy motherboard connection on the Dell mobo has 2 pins taken out, while the Foxconn mobo connection has only 1 pin taken out. Also, the original ribbon has 1 hole blocked, while the Foxconn floppy cable has none blocked. This leads me to think the floppy drive isn't compatible with the new motherboard. It is hooked up correctly, and I tried both the original ribbon and the new cable. When using the original ribbon, the light on the drive would never turn on. Additionally, when the new cable is used, the light on the drive never turns off. I'm at a loss.

I've installed XP on many computers with SATA, and I've never had to give it any drivers.

Same here. In the bios there should be a option for Sata.

There is for me, and I didn't need any drivers (my motherboard is almost 2 1/2 yrs old)

Can anyone confirm that you no longer need SATA drivers w/ an SP2 slipstreamed disc on either a 865PE or NForce4 chipset?

When I initiall installed XP, it was an SP1 slipstreamed disc on a regular IDE drive and not SATA. So I would like to know if I would need a floppy to get it installed again if I need to.

Microsoft didn't add any kind of support for Serial ATA as you technically don't need to.

Older SATA controllers where raid only and the drivers where seen as SCSI just like IDE raid controllers.

Newer native controllers that allow single and raid configs do not sit on the pci bus and are seen by XP as regular ide drives so thats the reason why no drivers are needed on AMD boards using the Nforce 4 family and on Intel boards with the ICH6 or 7 for example.

But when I installed Windows XP on my computer which has an ICH7R controller, it didn't recognize my SATA HDD. I don't know if having it SATAII matters, but I had to use a floppy for it.

But when I installed Windows XP on my computer which has an ICH7R controller, it didn't recognize my SATA HDD. I don't know if having it SATAII matters, but I had to use a floppy for it.

The R designates you have a raid capable SB. You need to go into the bios and search for the AHCI option(could be called SATA if unsure just set it to anything but raid). If you find it don't change it as your drive will fizzle(no it won't fry but your file system will go bang).

Oh yeah, I know what you're talking about now then. It has an option 'Configure SATA As' and it's normally on 'Standard IDE' (in which I need to insert a disk when installing), but if I set it to AHCI (the only other option is RAID), then do I not need to have that driver disk?

And this is something I'd need to switch when doing a fresh install, I can't just switch it to AHCI right now, right?