What is the best TV in 32 to 42" category

jeeze in that range get the new Dell 30" LCD. :D

Or a nice LCD. I would hold off for a bit if you can. Prices are set to make a big drop soon. Like signifigantly.

Does it have to be a flat panel? How about the Sony 34XBR960? As long as you have the space and aren't planning on moving the tv frequently it probably has the best picture quality available in your price/size range. If you manage to get it for less than retail you could put the extra money towards a isf calibration and then it would really shine.

The 42" Sony KDF-E42A10 would also fall under your 2000 limit. It's picture quality wouldn't really be nearly as good as the 34" XBR, but it is bigger, thinner, and lighter.

Also, if you want to ignore tax the Samsung 46" HLR4667W would just come in under 2000.

You also may want to give the Panasonic 42PD50U a look. It uses the same panel as the TH-42PWD8UK, and so you could get an idea of what the commercial model would look like (get the commercial if you want a clean look, don't need a tuner or speakers, etc). It may not be HD, but for watching dvds it would be arguably better than any of the TVs I listed.

So for this price range imho, best IQ would be the 34" XBR.

Worse IQ but larger size would be the DLP and RP LCD.

Though worse IQ than the CRT, better IQ than the DLP and RP LCD and larger size than the crt go to the ED Plasma.

Go check everything in the store out, bring some reference dvds with you and have them hook a good player up to the tvs and and go crazy. Also, make sure you visit more than one store to determine if a feed is messed up at one or something.

Go to a store and check out the models first hand. That's the best way to do it. There are some really nice Plasmas out there, but they would probably not fit in your price range.

If you are watching mostly DVD's, I think maybe even a DLP rear projection would be nice, as it is a bit softer on the pixels than a LCD or Plasma panel, as DVD's aren't as high resolution as the screen. The DLP RP's and LCD RP's are much cheaper, and you can get them bigger and they are actually very shallow and have great PQ these days compared to the past generations. To be honest, the stands that you buy for the LCD/Plasma televisions are a certain depth anyways, and so usually it doesn't matter if you have the projection or the panel because they end up being the same distance from the wall. A less than 50" DLP would be probably a foot give or take depth depending on the size. My 52" Toshiba DLP is 16" in depth.

If you want it more for HDTV and standard def TV watching, a Plasma or LCD would work great as well and the Sharp Aquos look really good on both regular television and HDTV feeds, as they have one in the local bank with regular CNN feeds and it looks amazingly clear! Pioneer IMO makes a good plasma but they cost a lot. The LG Plasmas I would stay away from, just from what I have seen they aren't as bright/crip/as good contrast as the other models. Panasonic Plasmas look great as well.

Go to a store as I said and look at the models all first hand, see what you think would be nicest for you. Take note of the models and then look up online some reviews/opinions and see if there are any known issues or critiques. Make the decision that way, your eyes are the only ones that will know if the set is right for you and your home!