Google's new look

Question

It seems that now and perhaps into the future, all your base are belong to Google. The company has done a good job becoming the search tool of choice for the vast majority of internet users and it's quickly becoming the name behind many useful and popular online applications and marketing tools.

What Google does not do well is apply design appropriately to its search engine interface. Other online application interfaces from Google are often done rather well, or at least not too badly. The search engine page, however, leaves a lot to be desired. Mind you, we're talking about the most successful search tool on the Web. But it is no stretch to observe that the design of this page is pretty bad.

Read more here.

Edited by Mike2006

Oh PLEASE Google hire this guy. I love it. I was actually thinking of how Google would look if they redesigned their site and I couldn't think of anything that would look good but this proves to be a good look for Google.

His mock-up looks like a color-inverted MSN Search :p

Google won't change. They're afraid to. You see, Google doesn't understand their own success. They try things, and if it sticks, they latch onto it and don't let it go. But they don't analyze their success and failure to learn from it. Or at least that's my observation.

If they were smart, they'd let the Picasa team define their UI guidelines.

The new look is terrible - I :heart: the white space.

it ISNT a new look, its a mock up buy some guy,

I like the design google have, clean, small and good!

You can use the Google API and create this interface yourself. Plus, you can make a few bucks off people searching from your site instead of the official google page.

hmm ya know i actually like this guys design, makes sense and looks nice, but after all google did get to where they are byu simple and uncreative on the main page, so why fix something that aint broke

It's just a mock, something a guy did himself, its not the new Google homepage.

I found it on Flexbeta, so I thought it was real. If it's not, then I'm sorry.

I actually rather like Google's simplicistic, to-the-point interface. Theres nothing unnecessary or flashy. It does the job for me.

Although, the mockup on that site is pretty nice.

The Google page is fine as is. Yes, I know there are minor details that I wouldn't mind fixed (like placement of certain links), but the actual layout is nearly perfect as is.

What's he talking about? Google's design rocks. Hopefully they won't implement anything close to his design in the future.

Are you serious? Google's current homepage is pathetically inadequate for a company that size. He has some very valid points though I am not exactly thrilled with this use of the blue though. It's a little too MSN-ish. It amazes me that a company like Google can't design a better homepage. :blink:

His mock-up looks like a color-inverted MSN Search :p

Exactly what I thought when I saw it.

His mockup ain't bad, I just don't like the blue thing.

Besides the blue, he doesn't change it that much and I would actually like it that way.