divx dvd player

My friend bought one recently as well.. but he discovered that some of the DivX's it wouldn't play because of a lack of audio support.. and since DivX is only video.. the personing making the movie can choose whatever format for audio he/she wants.. :\

I was influenced by a friend of mine to buy a divx dvd player. I have set my eyes on Philips DVP5900/37.

I have one question though:

A divx dvd player will play xvid AVIs right?

Suggestions for other divx dvd players are very very welcome.

Check this site out. Link It hasn't got a very good rating.

I have an absolute piece of crap XMS brand DivX/XviD player which is very poorly made but plays everything and I have not have one single problem with it since I got it. Let this be a lesson to everyone, if you only want to view simple avi's (DivX/XviD) you don't have to spend 5 trillion dollars for a top notch player.

@slomo what format is it?

That depends on the DVD player. For example, with Koss 5121 (another cheap player), there is this info in its manual:

? DivX filenames should not exceed 12 characters,

and should end with the ?.avi? extension. General

name format: ?Title.avi?. When composing your title

ensure that you use 8 characters or less, have no

spaces in the name, and avoid the use of special

characters including ( . , / , \ , = ,+).

? Please burn the DivX with the DivX file

(eg.GREAT MOVIE.avi) and the subtitle (MUST

in same file name, eg. GREAT MOVIE.sub) in

same folder. When the movie is playing, the

subtitle can be shown.

That DVD player specs is here. You can also download the manual from that site.

It worked when I tried it with .sub files. The problems that I had were in finding the correct subtitles that worked (syncs correctly with the movie) and in converting subtitle files that are not of the format that worked with the player. Some subtitles were in .srt or .idx/.rar formats.

Thanks. So if you press the subtitlte button it shows the subs right?

Yes. But in the case of the Koss 5121 that I tried, once the DivX subtitle is shown it cannot be disabled by the subtitle button. So once it is shown it will always be shown. The only way to disable it is to not include the subtitle file in the disk. Firmware bug, I think. :rolleyes: