DOOM III Confirmed for Xbox

from GameSpot

"John Carmack confirms that the graphically impressive first-person shooter will come out for the Xbox and will match the visual fidelity of the PC version.

Id Software had previously expressed interest in doing an Xbox version of its upcoming first-person shooter, but hadn't confirmed that there would be a console version of the game. Today during his keynote at QuakeCon, id's John Carmack said that the Xbox is the only console platform that id is "completely committed" to releasing Doom III on. Carmack further commented that the Xbox version will have the "full graphics fidelity" of the PC version, which made a major debut at this year's E3, where it won a number of awards.

Id Software has said that work on the Xbox version won't start until the PC game is complete. At QuakeCon 2002, id expressed hope that the game would be done before next year's E3 in May. For more information, check out our previous coverage of the PC game."

It's cool that it's coming out for Xbox & all, with "perfect graphics", but come on... they're not gonna start making the game until the PC version is done.

Why wait (god knows how long) to play a good game with a crappy controller when you could have/can play it the way all FPS are meant to be played, with a keyboard & mouse?

Save up for the game, aGeForce 4 card & some RAM then you won't have to wait forever to play it on the 'cool' Xbox controller.

Use your head.

Just silly...

:rolleyes:

Im not too sure about this game, I wonder what its gonna be like. They changed the story from an Alien bashing shooter to a horror shooter. The sys req's are just insane too. RTCW might be an interesting game because of its new features but imo im in two minds about this one.

Originally posted by Dazzla

Afraid not, that's what you call a system seller.

Why would anyone with a decent PC/Mac wait __ months/year(s) for a FPS where you can't use a keyboard & mouse?

Originally posted by Dead Messiah

Why would anyone with a decent PC/Mac wait __ months/year(s) for a FPS where you can't use a keyboard & mouse?

No-one has said yet that it will not be compatible with a keyboard and mouse. Their is a keyboard and mouse set to be relased in November and well not all of us have brand new PC's, the specs for Doom III are way too high. If it were to be released on the Xbox it would certainly give the console the boost. It will be relased before May 2003, after finishing the code for PC it would not take that long to port it to the Xbox as the coding required is so similar to PC.

PS. Dead Messiah, I am surprised that you beat neo1980 to this post. :D

Because not everyone has an amazing PC setup for games. PC gaming is small compared to console gaming. So if you have a PC capable of running Doom III well (i.e. GF4 minimum with well over a GHz processor) then fine.

But remember, you are in the minority. I am one of those in the majority. I have a PC/Mac capable of running games, but nowhere near powerful enough to run Doom III. Why spend hundreds of dollars upgrading CPU/video card/memory when you yourself know how much more enjoyable the console experience is. Flawless in comparison. No downloading the latest beta drivers to get a few extra fps, refresh bugs etc etc.

As for the control method, Goldeneye is my favourite FPS game ever, and I can't seem to recall plugging a keyboard/mouse into my N64, same with Timesplitters on PS2 and Halo on Xbox.

I'm sure if Sony had just announced this you would be saying "In your face MS fanboys!!"...

I'm sure if Sony had just announced this you would be saying "In your face MS fanboys!!"...

No, because I don't like the idea of trying to bring a powerful PC/Mac game to a console. It just won't work, I mean Dazzla even said you 'need' a GF4 and such to play the game--last I check Xbox didn't have a GF4 on deck; not to mention the other requirements...

Plus, by the time it comes out Xbox, since they're not starting it for Xbox until the PC is out, the system will probably be dead.

Check out the sale figures of each system (neo1980 posted them in a thread not too long ago), there is no way Xbox can keep up in the market.

Just my opinion...

If Xbox does last & gets some games I 'need' (there are none on their coming soon list I want/need) then I'd think about getting one, but by that time PS3 will probably be out (2005).

I don't mean to bust anyone's bubble it's just thatI'm so happy with my PS2, GCN & GBA it's not funny.

And by the sales numbers a lot of people are with me on that...

;)

Games are optimised for consoles, they don't need as powerful an overall unit to run the same game. Just take games like GTA3 for example. Compared to some peoples AMD's and P4's the PS2 would seem laughable, especially when most of them are packing GF3/4. This didn't stop the game running much better on the PS2 did it?

You also seem to forget that I own exactly the same consoles as you, it's just that I find the Anti-MS attitude laughable. You truly are the neo1980 of the Sony world...

Dazzla is right. Games cna be optimized heavily for consoles because everyone is running the exact same setup.

As for what we 'need' to run Doom3 I'm going to wait for a demo (there had beter be one!)

About the whole controller thing: I thought exactly the same way (can't play FPS without keyboard and mouse) until I HAD to play Halo and got very used to the controls. After a while, the controls felt fine to me.

Games are optimised for consoles, they don't need as powerful an overall unit to run the same game. Just take games like GTA3 for example. Compared to some peoples AMD's and P4's the PS2 would seem laughable, especially when most of them are packing GF3/4. This didn't stop the game running much better on the PS2 did it?

You also seem to forget that I own exactly the same consoles as you, it's just that I find the Anti-MS attitude laughable. You truly are the neo1980 of the Sony world...

your are truly correct dazzla, especially with the point in italic :D.

Plus, by the time it comes out Xbox, since they're not starting it for Xbox until the PC is out, the system will probably be dead.

Check out the sale figures of each system (neo1980 posted them in a thread not too long ago), there is no way Xbox can keep up in the market.

You assume too much, do not post things without the appropriate data to back it up.

You are blinded by your love for your PS2 so much so that you cannot post a neutral comment.

Originally posted by velocity3k

You assume too much, do not post things without the appropriate data to back it up.

neo1980 posted something a little while back about how GameCube is out selling Xbox & PlayStation is still #1, I was just pointing that out saying that if this tend continues Xbox might not be around too much longer, unless Microsoft wants to keep pumping money into it.

No, because I don't like the idea of trying to bring a powerful PC/Mac game to a console. It just won't work, I mean Dazzla even said you 'need' a GF4 and such to play the game--last I check Xbox didn't have a GF4 on deck; not to mention the other requirements...

Just my opinion...

If Xbox does last & gets some games I 'need' (there are none on their coming soon list I want/need) then I'd think about getting one, but by that time PS3 will probably be out (2005).

I don't mean to bust anyone's bubble it's just thatI'm so happy with my PS2, GCN & GBA it's not funny.

And by the sales numbers a lot of people are with me on that...

;)

First of all, you dont need a keyboard/mouse to play FPS's. Just look at Goldeneye on N64 or Halo on Xbox. Thier control scheems are so well done.

Second, porting a pc game over to xbxo is not as hard as you think. This is because of the xbox's pc-like architecture.

Third, the xbox is capable of running doom 3 because it is a 'dedicated' machine. Unlike PC's where you have other programs installed and hwere everyone's hardware has different specs. Thats not the case in consoles. Everyone that owns a Xbox, has the same specs so games are optimised to take full advantage of the hardware.

I mean Dazzla even said you 'need' a GF4 and such to play the game--last I check Xbox didn't have a GF4 on deck; not to mention the other requirements...

You maybe right in saying it's not a geforce 4 card, but its not your ordinary geforce 3 card either. Apparently It's got some added goodies so I wouldn't be suprised if it runs the game almost perfectly.

And this thing about needing a keyboard to play first person shooters is stupid. The next-gen consoles all have two analogue sticks which I believe to be a perfect compination for a fps