Sony to showcase PS3 at Taipei Game Show 2006

Saw this posted over at the PS3 IGN Forums:

Sony to showcase PS3 at Taipei Game Show 2006

Sony will showcase the PlayStation 3 (PS3) at the upcoming Taipei Game Show (TGS) 2006, which takes place between February 16-20. This will be a first Taipei showing for Sony’s new game console, prior to the official worldwide launch of the unit, although Sony has already shown the PS3 in the US and Japan.

Sony’s exhibit will occupy a total of 80 booths at the TGS show, including 20 booths allocated exclusively for the PS3, according to a February 9 report in the Chinese-language Commercial Times.

The Taipei showing is a move, by Sony, in a marketing campaign against its rival Microsoft, which will begin to market its Xbox 360 in Taiwan, starting March 16, the paper said.

In addition to a recent announcement of lower prices for the Xbox 360 when it first goes on sale, Microsoft Taiwan also stated on February 8 that it will market a total of 19 game titles for the Xbox 360, to coincide with its official launch in Taipei, instead of 15 titles as originally planned, according to the report.

The 19 titles include PGR 3 (Project Gotham Racing 3), designed by Microsoft Game Studios, NBA 6 by Electronic Arts, Call of Duty 2 by Activision, Ridge Racer 6 by Namco, and Dead or Alive 4 by Tecmo, the report stated.

Source: http://boards.ign.com/ps3_general_board/b8...09657666/p1/?19 & http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060209A8050.html

w00t! getting closer! :woot:

Edited by American Ninja

Lol I'm guessing by you sigs you aren't a fan of the 360 but we'll leave that out of it. Looking forward to seeing what it can do, think they'll reveal a price I need to start saving the pennies.

Hmmm... interesting. I wonder what they'll show in this outing of the PS3; Gameplay or mor CG?

This will be very different from E3 and TGS since Microsoft actually has released (and is about to release) some very good looking and good playing games. At the previos trade shows they only had a bunch of work in progress to display which didn't looked too hot and played just as bad because of various issues.

Sony will have to come with a different stratagy this time since... you know, alone won't work this time.

To reiterate, this is going to be very interesting indeed. All we the consumers have to do is sit back, enjoy and watch the beautifully rendered sparks fly :D :yes:

EDIT: 200th post! ^_^

I'm looking forward to it :)

The PS3 is more appealing to me then the box (mostly because of the games - let's not turn this into a this is better then that thread) and I'd love to see what Sony is pitching against games like PGR3, Kameo, COD2 and other games with beautiful graphics :D

I don't know what I'm sick of more: People bashing one console over the other in unnecessary threads, or people asking others not to bash either console in every new thread that has anything to do with either console. :whistle:

It has already been stickied and whatever, there really should be no need to ask others not to bash preemptively.

They better show something good! Quite a few events coming up for PS3 though. DevStation, Destination PlayStation, rumours of one in LA this month. Unfortunately all of these are behind closed doors.

I want to see some Motor Storm! I loving racing games, which is why xbox/xbox360 doesn't appeal as much as playstation.

20 booths sounds like game 'show casing' to me. But will they be playable/in-game demos? I thought that the PS3 would be properly launched with its own massive event. Maybe they are saving that for the west in a few months.

Sony?s exhibit will occupy a total of 80 booths at the TGS show, including 20 booths allocated exclusively for the PS3, according to a February 9 report in the Chinese-language Commercial Times.

With 80 booths I think there will be lots showing!:woot:t:

Hmm... what about this article from ArsTechnica...

Have you seen this PS3? Sony tells, not shows, at Tapei Game Show

2/17/2006 1:15:20 PM, by Ken "Caesar" Fisher

The Tapei Game Show is on, and so is Sony's microphone. The company is talking about the PlayStation 3, commenting on shipping times and goals for the company. But what's equally as interesting is what they're not doing: showing a working PlayStation 3.

With a launch date presumably sometime in the next 10 months, Sony still isn't showing the PlayStation 3 in action. You may recall that the PS3 was missing in action during CES, too. Some six weeks later, there are still no public gaming kiosks, no units isolated behind thick glass playing demos. No, the company is still showing the power of the PS3 with pre-rendered videos. But don't let that fool you into believing that the console may still be facing serious challenges. Managing director of Sony Computer Entertainment Asia Tetsuhiko Yasuda told reporters that the PlayStation 3 will ship this year. You just have to take his word for it.

"We want to be completely prepared when we bring PlayStation 3 to the marketplace," said Tetsuhiko Yasuda. "Our No. 1 competition is not other companies but counterfeiters. We want to work with governments to stop this."

Tetsuhiko Yasuda also said that the company expects to sell more than 100 million units, but this is a safe bet given that both the PS2 and the original PlayStation both passed this mark. Of course, if the PlayStation 3 debuts at a price north of $399, all bets are off. And 100 million units or not, some observers believe that the real battle won't be over total units sold, but over who can best monetize their gaming community.

The Xbox 360 has seen strong initial uptake in the Xbox Live department, where they have a significant lead on Sony's forthcoming HUB service. Microsoft also has the advantage of being on their second generation of media center interoperability options, which we expect to see improve considerably over the next few years. Microsoft's current model envisages a Media Center PC in the home which is then connected to up to five Xbox 360s for the purposes of streaming audio and video throughout the house. Via Xbox Live and Media Center, the company hopes to offer two ways to encourage users to purchase content online, as well.

While few are putting their cash down on a horse called Microsoft, a 100 million unit success for Sony won't be as sweet if the console sits mostly by its lonesome. Microsoft' plan to make the Xbox 360 into a kind of entertainment hub is more developed and mature than Sony's fledgling plans, but it lacks the one thing that the PS3 can boast: support for a next-generation optical disc format (namely, Blu-ray).

Just what was on display at the Tapei Game Show? The same three PS3 boxes we've come to know and love: the silver, white, and black shell design (all of which are reportedly empty), and the boomerang-style controller was on display, too. The Tapei Game Show was really the last chance for Sony to pull a spring launch surprise out of its hat. While no analysts were expecting such a thing given the lack of fanfare at CES, rumors among the die-hard Sony fans have persisted.

Just what was on display at the Tapei Game Show? The same three PS3 boxes we've come to know and love: the silver, white, and black shell design (all of which are reportedly empty), and the boomerang-style controller was on display, too. The Tapei Game Show was really the last chance for Sony to pull a spring launch surprise out of its hat. While no analysts were expecting such a thing given the lack of fanfare at CES, rumors among the die-hard Sony fans have persisted.

? :unsure:

I recall some people were very adamant that the PS3 would be out by March this year .. :whistle:

But that's my point. Read some of the comments at the beginning of this thread. Very vocal and passionate. Yet Sony shows nothing one month before a supposed launch and no one has anything to say about it? I don't get it. I'm curious as to what the real PS3 will be like and so far all we have are promises that if we use history as a benchmark (PS2 launch) could be totally off the mark.

As a gamer that would consider the PS3 (yes, I have an XBox 360) I'd like some answers.

Man, I remember reading this thread back when it was originally posted. I totally forgot to check back for an update hahaha.

I think Sony is just being Sony at this point. "Hey, we've got the Sony name, when we come up with something to release it will sell because we're Sony." For me, that's not good enough. I was going to wait until the end of the year to see if Sony could get me away from the Xbox but I've decided to go 360 for good once Oblivion comes out (and if there's any systems available).