Michelle Kwan withdraws from Olympics

She couldn't qualify because of a groin injury....then pitched a fit, had Emily Hughes booted off the team so she could compete, and what do you know...her first practice, she falls down on every major jump. Saying her groin is still bothering her.

Granted, the above is more 'Tonya Harding' like then how it actually played out, but essentially, that's how it worked. She's so hard up for a gold medal, she ignored the fact that she is physically unable to skate, so she could be at the Games, stealing the spotlight away from athletes that are more deserving of it.

What else exactly did you want Lipinski and Hughes to do? They reached the Pinnacle of their sport. Take all the world championships you want, but Kwan will be remembered for never getting the gold medal. The only reason Kwan never went pro is because she wanted the Olympic Gold.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what they're all there for....to attempt to get a gold medal?

Oh, I know...I was responding to the "what have Lipinski and Hughes done for US Figure skating?" comment. The fact that those two 'fell off the face of the earth'....well...most olympians do that after they win a medal. I was just saying the only reason we keep remembering Kwan is because she can't win the gold, so she keeps on trying. :)

In the future though, I'm not even going to try and argue sports with ya, BOOG. I know you're a sports encyclopedia, and have often had very long, heated discussions on many sports issues, which I can't do all that well. I don't know how I'm still standing at this point. lol

Ack...My apologies, Hawkeye, I wasn't really arguing...I am sorry if it came across that way. :)