Team Canada mens hockey cruises in opener

Getting back to the men vs Switzerland, one Canadian goal was inexplicably whistled down just before it crossed the goal line and now another goal is under review. The puck was in Gerbers glove but did it cross the goal line? The cameras are in a bad angle to see conclusively. It looks like the entire glove is in the net but you can't see the puck.

Edit:

Inconclusive, no goal.

Some posts about the men's game were moved to this thread from:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=431595

Edited by fred666

OK, CANADIANS .... it is now time to HOPE, PRAY, and BEG for our Men to win *LOL* (ok, not that desperate yet) but c'mon Boys! You did good after a few hrs sleep, you can do much better when not jet lagged!

Officiating is **** poor also.... That high stick on Sakic wasn't called. Rather they called a high stick that clipped Pronger. When the ref went over to the Canadian bench THEN he saw Sakic's face cut, and assesed the double minor.

Officiating is **** poor also.... That high stick on Sakic wasn't called. Rather they called a high stick that clipped Pronger. When the ref went over to the Canadian bench THEN he saw Sakic's face cut, and assesed the double minor.

Please don't start that. I've had enough of **** poor officiating arguments the past few weeks.

Canada is destroying the Swiss in shots on goal. Canada keeps getting powerplays and then they commit stupid penalties to negate the PP. And Gerber is shutting them down. Like I said previously, the Canadians had several 5 on 3 advantages in the first period and did nothing.

Please don't start that. I've had enough of **** poor officiating arguments the past few weeks.

So u missed it when Sakic got a high stick to the face, but the player who clipped Pronger got the penalty instead. When the ref went over to the bench and saw Sakic's face, THEN assessed the double minor. The ref was standing right next to Sakic.

Anyways, im not blaming the outcome on the refs, but admit it, the reffing sucks. Canada played like garbage, very undisciplined and only turned it up when they were losing. Even those 22+ shots on goal in the 3rd, dont mean much. The Swiss covered the shooting lanes so well from every possible angle, made Gerber's job a little easier. Even though he had some good saves.

FYI Gerber is one of the streakiest goales in the league and over rated at times. He'll ride a high for a couple of games then play worse than Theodore. Luckily for him, he has a good Carolina team infront of him to pick up the slack when he underachieves.

Large ice/Euro rules = boring hockey

even

i cant believe that swiss defeated damn canadians! never i was so happy for canada loosing

GO SWISS GO!

maybe they even can win gold :p

oh yeah, and canda wasnt robed of any goals!

Large ice/Euro rules = boring hockey

Larger rink requires more speed, more skill and definitely more ability than putting a bunch of 100kg+ 200cm guys to stand around who can't skate for more than 30 seconds before they're out of breath.

They are killing themselves. Pronger with a slashing on the goalie during a powerplay.

Frustration is setting in.

I don't know any ref in the world in his right mind would have called that slashing. BUT you are correct that that really helped with the Frustration. For the first 2 period they looked like a bunch of overpaid grown men that knew they had the best team and couldn't care less to fall infront of a puck. They are supposedly the fastest hockey players in the world and they're getting beat to the puck by players that's aren't good enough to even make the ahl nevermind the nhl.

For the last 10 minutes of the third you could really see the fire growing in them though. Every rush was broken up by a stupid shoelace in the crease call, the most BS call in the world with slashing on pronger. Even worst was the tripping call on Iginla - he STEALS the puck from between the swiss players legs, passes the puck to the point, pulls his stick out from between the swiss players legs, taps his thigh on the way out, and gets a tripping call. Just wow. From the overhead angle of the canadian goal, half of his glove was in the net. Is the puck going to be in the front of a glove of the back of a glove after a shot that pulled your arm back 6 inches??? Back to the angle of the camera, it was obviously about 5 or more degrees forward of the net so the glove would have been further back in the net than the camera would leave you to believe. If his hand was down 1 foot from the crossbar it would have been atleast 1 inch further in the net than what it looked like on the camera.

Overall, a dissapointing game. The Canadian didn't try hard enough for the full 60 minutes. Then frustration was built up and eventually set in towards the end of the game. They should be really fired up now, they better be. I expect no less than 10 goals next game.

And hopefully we don't get thrown into the temporary rink again where errors are bound to happen and don't draw us non-nhl refs named "Bulanov" again. But all in all, I think all these things combined should really get them ****ed off enough to throw everything into the rink for the rest of the tournament.

Larger rink requires more speed, more skill and definitely more ability than putting a bunch of 100kg+ 200cm guys to stand around who can't skate for more than 30 seconds before they're out of breath.

passing, playmaking, checking and strategy are lost to speed and 'skill' (which i assume you mean 1 on 1, stickhandling). And i didn't see any speed out there by the Swiss. I saw a good collapsing team which blocked a lot of the shooting lanes and a hot goalie.

Can we just say that the over paid, underworked NHLers have started feeling the "effects" of jet lag? *LOL*

passing, playmaking, checking and strategy are lost to speed and 'skill' (which i assume you mean 1 on 1, stickhandling).

I wasn't talking about this particular game, you were criticizing the large rink as being boring.

And passing/playmaking is definitely more important on a larger rink instead of just throwing the puck at the end of the rink and hoping one of your guys gets there first.

Canada wins 3 - 2 over Czech Republic

This puts us in third place in our group. Seems like we're kinda repeating Salt Lake City again :laugh:

-Ax

Edited by Axon

Hopefully we can play stronger and better with each progressive game. We really came out strong in today's game against the Czech.

We came out strong, but thanks to a couple of very weak goals by Richards and St Louis we took the win. Vokoun didn't look like his usual self, Brodeur let in a weak 2nd goal too... but thats the way it is and theres no changing it. We still have to come out stronger vs Russia tommorow because Vokoun was the deciding factor for us vs. the Czechs.